Need engine removal instructions for 2006 v8, 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need engine removal instructions for 2006 v8, 4wd

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Can anyone post a link or some PDFs of the engine removal procedure for a 2006 model, 4.6 v8, 4 wd.

I'll be doing this with a friend who is a tech and replaced dozens of engines, I just want to review the steps to check for any surprises. I recall there may be an issue with flywheel clearance, and the tranny may need be dropped as well - but I hope not.

PS: My timing sounds like can of bolts, the engine sounds like a diesel, and my phasers are on their last leg. I priced the components to rebuild the top of the motor, but it's going over a 1,000 already for OEM parts (do not want to use aftermarket parts, I read they are failing to soon). I am bidding on an engine with 55k miles for about 1,500 I hope.

Good luck bidding, with as many miles that you have gotten out of your engine it sounds like the best thing to do is drop a low mileage used one in. I wonder if your MAF issue caused the phasers to go or if it was always the phasers to begin with. Just a thought, but if you haven't rebuilt the transmission yet this would be a perfect opportunity to do it since you're putting a newer engine in and I would hate for you to have to pull the tranny a short time after replacing the motor when it is so much easier to do right now.

yeah, the tranny crossed my mind. But it won't happen now, unless needed :)

I think somehow the MAF and phasers problem may be interconnected.

The jerking of the engine caused by MAF may have shear the pin inside the phaser.

Got the engine for 1,595. It'll come in 2 weeks.

That was the lowest mileage I could find, most of them had over 100 or even 150k, and prices are about 1000 bucks.
Rebuilt long blocks go for 3,000
I even requested the vin of the donor and ran it thru carfax. The mileage checked out, it was an 07 Mounty that was in an accident.

Back