Need fobs for door locks 2016 pd explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need fobs for door locks 2016 pd explorer

DR.J

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Springs MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Blk/Blk Lim
Ok here is the issue
The police department ordered a police package 2016 explorer which is going to be used as an unmarked car but apparently they don't come with a remote to lock and unlock doors one has to order it. My question is how and what is needed to have a door lock fob prefer one with the key due to we already have have a separate fob for the remote start that was added afterwards ( was told police packages you can't get remote start from factory I say hog wash but anyway)
Thank you for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will answer this here....the only OEM remote start setup that can be added to a Utility or Explorer (they are different models) is one that has the separate little FOB that is remote start only. It also adds the perimeter alarm system.

There is no OEM add on that has an IKT (key with the FOB built in). Ford has done away with that for adding remote start after the fact. You will end up with two separate FOBs.

OEM remote start should not have been able to be added without having keyless entry. Keyless entry would be required to disarm the alarm system which I would think would arm when the OEM remote starter locks the door.

I will answer this here....the only OEM remote start setup that can be added to a Utility or Explorer (they are different models) is one that has the separate little FOB that is remote start only. It also adds the perimeter alarm system.

There is no OEM add on that has an IKT (key with the FOB built in). Ford has done away with that for adding remote start after the fact. You will end up with two separate FOBs.

OEM remote start should not have been able to be added without having keyless entry. Keyless entry would be required to disarm the alarm system which I would think would arm when the OEM remote starter locks the door.

maybe i could have been more clear....
the dealership did install an aftermarket remote start and it has its on fob.
but with that said, would like to because the dealership did not even offer it but would like to have the door lock/unlock and the ignition key in the same unit or fob... that way dont have a key and keyless entry fob, and another fob for the remote start

There is no option to have oem keyless entry and/or remote start built into the key with an OEM solution on the 2016 utility. Even with a 16 Explorer the only way to add remote start post factory is to get a kit with a separate fob for activating remote start.

So you're basically looking for a keyfob that is part key and part fob (bottom half is buttons to unlock/lock doors and top half is the key for the ignition)?

So you're basically looking for a keyfob that is part key and part fob (bottom half is buttons to unlock/lock doors and top half is the key for the ignition)?

Yes that is what he is looking for. It doesn't exist for the 16 PI Utility.

Yes that is what he is looking for. It doesn't exist for the 16 PI Utility.

As you mentioned, no OEM solution; so looking for aftermarket support will be the way to go.
Frankly, I have no idea about the support or collaboration Ford has with PI vehicles, but would think working with an aftermarket speciality shop would be the best method for everything "custom" to fit the PD requirements.

The only way would be to find someone that makes a key that has the 3 button shark style fob housing on a standard ford key blade and then you would have to purchase the OEM key fob and pull the circuit board out and put it in the "new" holder. Unless this already exists I don't really see much demand for it that someone would produce it.

The reason you can't use one from an Explorer is the keyblade is different and the squads don't use PATS which programs the fob to the vehicle at the same time as the key. The 16 Utility has a fob programmed to it is by entering a unique 48 digit hex code into IDS that is provided with the FOB. No other Ford FOB is provided with this 48 digit hex code.

Back