need front bumper reconstructive surgery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need front bumper reconstructive surgery

rcross

Reaction score
City, State
Guthrie, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
My first post.....really enjoy reading the threads! Hope someone can answer my questions.

I just bought an 01 Sport Trac....the previous owner must have hit the right side of the front bumper causing the plastic to crack and he removed the steel reinforcement bumper and cut the plastic bumper at the indention all the way across. He said he intended to install an aftermarket tubular bumper.

I received the steel reinforcement and nerf bars which were also removed.

I purchased a new bumper cover and want to reinstall the steel bumper, BUT I did not received the bumper brackets with the bumper.

What I need from the forum:

What is the part number of the bumper bracket? I've been searching Ebay and find a much cheaper bracket for an Explorer. Will it not work on the Sport Trac?

What are the nut and bolt sizes/thread sizes that I need to install the steel bumper?

Do I need anything specific to attach the bumper cover? I haven't tried to remove the remaining upper portion.

What are the nut and bolt sizes/thread sizes that I need to install the nerf bars? I know that I need three nut/bolt sets for each of the three brackets for each bar.

Additionally, the driver electric seat only moves about two inches from the farthest back setting. I'm not really short, but don't feel comfortable having to stretch to reach the gas and brake. The seat moves back and forth, though not much. It moves up and down in front and back. Any ideas or do I just need to get a new seat track?

Lastly, the driver side door lock doesn't always unlock when using the remote or key to unlock the door. I took the panel of and lubricated what I could reach with some dry lubricant.

All responses are welcome!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This should help with the front bumper cover removal and install...

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/FrontBumperCoverRemoval/FrontBumperCoverRemoval.htm

Unless your Trac has a bodylift then you don't need any special brackets to mount the front bumper reinforcement (metal), you'll just need to get four nuts and washers (I don't know what size they are but you can match them up with the threaded studs on the reinforcement).

As for the driver seat check the tracks for obstructions, someone might have forgotten to tighen down the bolt all the way.

Midnightrebel, thanks for the quick response.

Wish I a picture of the steel bumper....something is cut away......I can also see something has been cut from the frame...which leads me to ask about a bracket of some sort.

Regarding the seat.....I've removed the seat from the track and made note that the moving track does not go forward of the stationary part attached to the floorboard. (Make sense?)

Here's what the reinforcement is supposed to look like (atleast with a bodylift and some of the center bracing cut out for the bodylift mounting brackets).

IMG_5441.jpg

Here is what the frame horns should look like with the bumper brackets welded in place...

picture.php

Not sure about the seat issue, maybe post a question thread in the interior section forum for better responses and more indepth help.

The horizontal piece on the end of the are what I call the brackets that I seem to be missing......in the second pic/video you posted.

O.k. so your frame horns look like this...

IMG_5598.jpg

This would indicate that the frontend was in a pretty good accident and the bumper brackets that are "break away" just tack welded into place really were bent and removed. As long as the tabs that stick out are still there than you can just wled them back on and mount the bumper reinforcement back on. I think I might still have mine in the spre steel bucket out in my carport, I still have my bumper reinforcement as well, would be cheaper to buy new or used from junkyard then to try and ship them from here though.

Here's a link to ebay for the brackets you'll need welded back on...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bumper-Bracket-Set-of-2-Front-Ford-Explorer-2001-2000-99-Mercury-1999-Pair-/370897188989

They will work from any '95-01 Explorer, '97-01 Mountaineer, '01-03 Explorer Sport or 2001-2005 Sport Trac. So if you have a junkyard close by I go there and cut them off one of those, they'll have the mounting nuts and washers you'll need as well.

Thanks!

MidnightRebel..........really appreciate your help and helpfulness.

I just ordered the bracket and will explore the interior forum.

Regards, RCross

No problem, let us know if you need help with anything else.

Back