Need Full Scoop On 2nd Gen. Susp. Lifts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Full Scoop On 2nd Gen. Susp. Lifts

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am sure this has been discussed a few dozen times, but I am having a hard time picking through all the info. So, I would like to try to sum it up in one thread.

Basically, 2nd gen susp. lifts...........who makes them? Any to stay away from? Cost (absolute total, not just kit)? Difficulty in Install? What kind of add-ons are needed?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob,

How high do you want to go? What size tires do you want to run. Below is a list of some kits that are available that I know of (I know this since I just went through all this stuff when I bought my 3 weeks ago) NOTE: all the info below is just my opinion from my experinces and discussions with people.

1. 2" Lift by TT and Warrior Shackles

2. Trailmasters 4" Lift (word is it's not really good)

3. Superlift 4" Lift (I have this on mine, pretty hard install, and have problems with it like the sway bar connects, shocks, etc... I have a Warning post, you should read it. I like how it handles though.)

4. RCD is developing a 4" lift with coilovers. It should be released in a few months. (There is a huge post about this lift. Personally I'd probably look at this one, it seems cool, and gets rid of the TBars)

If cost is no object, then do a SAS up front and then the skys the limit on the type of lift you can put on. =)

Ron,
I am looking to go 4-5" and putting 33s under it. My object is to stay away from BL. I haven't heard anything about Trailmaster without something negative quickly following. SAS is prolly out of question because I don't weld. I would love to do SOA, but need to come up with something for the front. I have also heard a few bad things about the Superlift. I have checked in occasionally on the RCD thread, but I will read the whole thing right away.

I'm just trying to get some more opinions,

Robb

I haven't heard much about the RCD kit yet, but if it was between one of the 4" kits or the TT etc + bl, I'd go with the latter. I hate body lifts, but that seems a better option all around than one of the 4" kits. And if you're already spending the money for one of the 4" kits, you could also go SAS.

Then there's the spindle option with 2x4s...

One of the big problems with all the current suspension lifts (torsion twist excluded) is that the torsion bars stay right where they are. They do not get any higher off the ground, except for the clearance gained by larger tires. This means that your torsion bars will still be very succeptible to damage (There's a thread by GJarrett here somewhere on that problem). IMHO, the only ways to go if you want serious lift with a 2nd gen X is to either go with the b-bars up front and twist them to the max (this will kill your CV joint life), do a 2-3" body lift, and do a spring over on the rear (See Lizardtrac), or, wait for the RCD kit which will get rid of the torsion bars all together. If I were going to lift my X farther than the 2" tt, and weren't going to put in a body lift, I would personally wait for the RCD kit.

Back