NEED HELP : 5R55w to 5R55S SWAP ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP : 5R55w to 5R55S SWAP ???

martyp1234

Reaction score
City, State
Natrona Hts, Pa (near Pgh)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
Hello, I'm new to this, so please be patient. I have n '02 Mountaineer w/ 4.0 V/6, AWD. Overdrive just blew out (flashing death light). What I need to know is, instead of getting another 5R55W, which I've read is nothing but problems, can I put in a 5R55S trans ? I've read that it's a "sister" transmission. If it does bolt up ????, will it throw codes ? I've been trying to find specs on it, but the only thing that I can find is that 2nd gear is a bit different in ratio. I called Ford, but they told me that they only put in the same as what they take out, I guess no matter how bad the reputation. Any help, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Marty,
Although i had stated in previous posts that I had a 5r55w in my 2005 Mounty, it is actually a 5r55s. I am having the same servo shaff to alunimum case issues as you will find throughout this forum on the 5r55w. Mine went at 131k miles, all highway. I would beware. I would spend the money on finding a good shop that will do the Servobore repair on the 5r55w (or do it yourself) and then you don't have to worry about the computer having kittens because you brought in an intruder 5r55s.

Back