Need Help activating the factory fog lights! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help activating the factory fog lights!

Okay i have read almost two years worth of back lighting threads. I have a 97, that did not come with factory fog lights. (I have a build thread in the modified 95-2001 explorers or whatever). i have added additional driving lights that come on with my brights.
I wanted the "factory fog lights" to work with just the low beams, as they normally would. So i bought the valance, brackets, lights, and wiring pigtails.
i removed my stuff, bolted all the new parts on, plugged the factory pigtails into the factory plugin located on the front frame rails, "mine had the plug ins, just as the donor EX did", new bulbs. Looking SWEET!!!
Get in turn on the dims lights, no fog lights.......Brights?? nope, just my add ons.
HMMMMM. DO I NEED TO AD A RELAY, OR FUSE? THEY ARE HOOKED UP LIKE Factory, BUT DO NOT WORK. I COULD GO BUY A RELAY, AND WIRE THEM IN AS I DID WITH THE BRIGHT DRIVING LIGHTS.. oops sorry about the caps....... but would really like them to just be plugged in as they would be from the factory.

Help!!
and if you find a thread with this that was already covered, i will really feel like a dolt, LOL>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 relays in the relay box below the air intake box. 1 is the fog light relay and the other is the fog light isolation relay. The isolation relay is the one that makes the fogs come on only with the low beams. Even though all of the wiring is there they won't work without the relays.

You did put in a fog light switch.. right?

DJ Dom, no, i thought they came on with the dim lights. if i need to get the new dashplate with the additional switch, i will pick one up at PNP this coming weekend.

Never thought to ask that. lol! The wiring should be there, it should be clipped into a dummy plug in back of the trim. You will need a new trim piece with the switch, as well as the 2 relays I mentioned earlier.

Never thought to ask that. lol! The wiring should be there, it should be clipped into a dummy plug in back of the trim. You will need a new trim piece with the switch, as well as the 2 relays I mentioned earlier.

Lmao. I was thinking basics.

And it actually, may be harder than that. My XL has the plugs for the fog lights behind the bumper, but I sure as hell don't have the harness behind the dash bezel for it. No dummy plug, nothing like that. No wiring for it at all.

But if you have the wiring, you'll need a fog light switch from the scrap yard. It's the whole black bezel around the radio.

Good luck.

Back