Need help adding 12v switched power block | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help adding 12v switched power block

bbrown0414

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
I am adding a mini fuse block under the dash. Half of the fuses will always have power and the other half will only have power when the switch is on. I ran the wire for the full time power, but I am having trouble finding a large switched wire. I am trying to find a good one that isn't fused so I wouldn't be putting the load on an existing fusefuse. I know I ran across a guy doing the same thing, but I think it was buried in another thread and I can't find it now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're going about it wrong.

I think you should add a fused line directly to the battery (or main block) to feed it and use a relay to switch it. You could use the radio switched power line to operate the relay but will have that exit delay if that is ok. (You might actually want that?)

Actually run you one main fused line (from batt or unfused side of main block) for your new block, then split it at the block for your switched / unswitched sides and add the relay setup to the switched side.

I have to agree with Tech, don't look for a wire to use its power, just add a relay and use the radio trigger wire, or any switched positive wire to trigger the relay. Don't want to cause unnecessary wiring gremlins.

That was my plan if I can't find a main switched wire, I was just trying to get away from adding more relays to keep it more compact. I haven't figured out exactly where I'm mounting it yet, so I don't know how much room I'm going to have and I will need two relays for the led bars already. It is looking like that's what I'm going to have to do though.

and I will need two relays for the led bars already. It is looking like that's what I'm going to have to do though.

Those relays should probably be under the hood...

Don't know if you're referring to front or roof led though.

One on the roof and one in the front. I want to keep everything in one place though so if/when something goes wrong, its all in one place.

Back