• Register Today It's free!

Need help ASAP

enny001

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 for explorer limited
Hi guys just come from a dealer got my self ford explorer 2011 limited i did a 3H test drive today and me and the wife love the car with all the options and what not. It has 160k one owner and its in perfect condition. I did all the interior and road and engine look around. I used OBD reader I am not getting any codes now tomorrow i am going to sign final papers and they will do emission test my questions is even that i am not getting any error codes but on the top o f the OBD reader 3 red I/M Monitor status are red CAT 02S HTR as you can see in the image then i used OBD meter full read out and this is what i got in the image summery. Since i am not mechanically capable can you tell me is this is just emission that needs to be done on the car or its smoothing big and i should not get this car. I did same OBD test on my Tuscon 2007 with emission passed and i am not getting those red CAT 02S HTR all o them are green and no codes, Just wondering if this is coming on since emission test was not done

2vdodgi.jpg

2qs73v5.jpg

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you run the OBD check before or after driving? They probably had disconnected the battery at some point, which causes the system to have to re-run self diagnostics and learn parameters. If possible, I would continue to drive it until the diagnostics are complete, or they guarantee in writing that they will fix any problems within the next x.. days if it turns out there is a problem with the system. Are you purchasing a warranty (if they offer one)? That should cover any problems as well.

First off when purchasing a vehicle I would try exercise patience and not be in any type of hurry whatsoever. With that said, unless you have an impeccable maintenance record of what has been done to this vehicle I would proceed with extreme caution. If I were you I would also do some research on this forum and make sure you know and understand the typical repairs and/or potential shortfalls of this generation of Explorer.

160,000km or 160,000 miles? I am assuming based on your profile saying Ontario it is 160,000km??

Check the coolant level, make sure it isn't low and check the oil to make sure it isn't milky. If 160,000km, I'd look at buying an extended warranty to cover the 3 major repairs (Water Pump, PTU and EPAS). If 160,000 miles, I'd walk away.

Although my 2011 with 115k on it now has been fantastic motor/trans wise, I made sure to extend my extended warranty to 156,000 miles because of those 3 issues I listed. The Water pump is the biggest that worries me and then the PTU is 2nd with the fluid being original. Not going to lie, I'm hoping both go boom before my ESP is up because I will most likely keep the vehicle after that even outside the ESP.

In addition to what was said above, I'd want to know that the transmission fluid has been changed, and that the rear diff (if it's all wheel drive) has been serviced, before 100k miles. If not, and it's 160k miles, walk away.

If it's 160k km, then I'd want all of the fluids changed, or proof they were changed, before purchase. Oil, trans, coolant, PTU, brake fluid, and rear diff.

Read up on water pump, PTU, and rear brake issues. If you can manage to get them to preventively change the water pump, and timing chain while they're at it, even better. If you can't get all of that done, or a good discount to cover them, or a good warranty, or proof they've been done, I would walk away.

Hi guys just come from a dealer got my self ford explorer 2011 limited i did a 3H test drive today and me and the wife love the car with all the options and what not. It has 160k one owner and its in perfect condition. I did all the interior and road and engine look around. I used OBD reader I am not getting any codes now tomorrow i am going to sign final papers and they will do emission test my questions is even that i am not getting any error codes but on the top o f the OBD reader 3 red I/M Monitor status are red CAT 02S HTR as you can see in the image then i used OBD meter full read out and this is what i got in the image summery. Since i am not mechanically capable can you tell me is this is just emission that needs to be done on the car or its smoothing big and i should not get this car. I did same OBD test on my Tuscon 2007 with emission passed and i am not getting those red CAT 02S HTR all o them are green and no codes, Just wondering if this is coming on since emission test was not done

2vdodgi.jpg

2qs73v5.jpg

Thanks

If I could make one suggestion, go into the "Pinned" Threads on is Forum and read about all the TSB's on the 2011 Explorer. It as the first year of this new generation and they had some issues. I know, I bought one and returned it under Canadian CAMVAP (Lemon Law with no teeth).

You will want to make sure the vehicle you're buying has had issues fixed before you take delivery or your ownership experience could be frustrating.

if the check engine light isn't on drive it for several miles on the highway, let it cool off for half a day and do it again. They probably replaced the battery or let it discharge.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Are we sure that the Explorer supports all the emissions tests that the scanner is expecting?

Even when I use FORScan and check emissions test readiness, 3 of the tests fail for not being supported and are indicated accordingly.

Here's a quick test. Turn the vehicle key/button to ON, but do not start the engine. Wait 15-30 seconds. Does the CEL (check engine light) flash at a 1hz rate during that time? If the CEL is SOLID the entire time, the car can pass emissions testing without issue. It's "ready." If the CEL flashes, that's the Explorer telling you that it's not ready to pass testing yet and there's tests that need to complete, so complete with caution and check for pending codes. Complete an OBD drive cycle to speed up the process.

Was the battery recently replaced? Recent repairs? All of those could create the caution you're seeing. At least I don't see any pending codes, so that's one thing in your favor right now.

Back