Need help bad - shaking, sputtering. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help bad - shaking, sputtering.

F SANE IL

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB V6 4x4
So, out of nowhere the truck is stuttering, sputtering, shaking and doesn't go. If i press the gas, it just doesn't react, the car does roll maybe 5mph which is how I got it home.

There were codes that said misfires all over the place. I replaced the plugs, wires and coil pack with original FORD parts. Gaps on all plugs were .54 on the dot. The shaking still happening.....

Anyone know what else i can check?
I don't think its internal motor issue, unless maybe timing is off, is that possible?
Maybe fuel pump problem?
Electrical problem?
ECU malfunction?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, out of nowhere the truck is stuttering, sputtering, shaking and doesn't go. If i press the gas, it just doesn't react, the car does roll maybe 5mph which is how I got it home.

There were codes that said misfires all over the place. I replaced the plugs, wires and coil pack with original FORD parts. Gaps on all plugs were .54 on the dot. The shaking still happening.....

Anyone know what else i can check?
I don't think its internal motor issue, unless maybe timing is off, is that possible?
Maybe fuel pump problem?
Electrical problem?
ECU malfunction?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge.

How many miles? V6? V8?

What? No check engine light or codes? My Wife's 2005 Lincoln LS acted similarly. It went into limp mode and threw two different codes. Turns out it was one coil pack gone bad.

I'm going to try checking fuel pressure when the weather dries up.

It's v6 4.0L 187000

There were codes for multiple misfires on random cylinders. I changed the coil pack, wires and plugs. All ford branded parts. Haven't checked codes again. Don't have the ECU scanner.

check my post about my eddie bauer. similar thing just happened to me. here's a link.... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404545

Just checked your post, sounds exactly like my problem. I noticed a bunch of exposed wires in the past, including the plug that goes into the coil itself and had already repaired.

Heading home in a few hours, I'm going to check out all the wires coming off the ECU as you pointed out.

How long have you been driving with the fix now?

Just checked your post, sounds exactly like my problem. I noticed a bunch of exposed wires in the past, including the plug that goes into the coil itself and had already repaired.

Heading home in a few hours, I'm going to check out all the wires coming off the ECU as you pointed out.

How long have you been driving with the fix now?

today is the third day i think. still perfect.... knock on wood.

today is the third day i think. still perfect.... knock on wood.

I'll knock on the wood deck for you. Want to use your fix that will work.

So, i checked last night in the dark. Started the car and went to look and see if there is a spark around that area. Didn't see any sparks, still pulled the entire loom of wires off the bracket and car still ran like it ran, like crap. As soon as I have time to go in there when its light so that I can see exposed wires, i'll update here.

Problem solved!!!!!! Since I didn't have the scan tool, I couldn't check for codes but after changing the coil pack, I discovered that the electrical connector for the coil pack had 4 wires that were exposed and touching each other. This prompted me to look for more exposed wires like this.

I also taped up the wires for MAF and the one that got my car out of the sleeping state where I couldn't push the gas was the TPS plug. All 4 wires were bare and twisted together.

I also checked the metal bracket for as mentioned by jdxprs and wires there were all nice and covered. I just got done and the car runs fine.

I dropped by a shop to check codes and here is the read off.

P0122
P0222
P2104
P2107
P2110
P2135
P060B - no clue what this one is.

The rest all point to TPS. I'm so happy! This was such a silly problem.

Now there's a new problem or maybe an old one. Code P0174 lean bank 2 condition. I can feel the shuttering slightly but it's definitely drivable still.

Already cleaned the MAF with spray. Next cheap item in the list is fuel filter. Any advice as to what else can be checked that is cheap? Don't feel like changing fuel pump per say.

Now there's a new problem or maybe an old one. Code P0174 lean bank 2 condition. I can feel the shuttering slightly but it's definitely drivable still.

Already cleaned the MAF with spray. Next cheap item in the list is fuel filter. Any advice as to what else can be checked that is cheap? Don't feel like changing fuel pump per say.

Replaced the intake seals, they looked good when I pulled the intake off. Tightened everything, car still seems to stutter a bit. not sure what else to look at.

Later in the day driving, engine oil light came on. When i give gas, light goes away. I think I'm going to make a new post about this.

Back