NEED HELP ! Can't Pump Gas Into Vehicle Properly GAS Pumps Click off After Pumping Just a Few Cent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP ! Can't Pump Gas Into Vehicle Properly GAS Pumps Click off After Pumping Just a Few Cent

Angel007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi, I have a 2005 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer Edition 2WD 4.0 Liter. It only has around 70,000 miles. Approximately 6 months ago I started to have a problem pumping gas. When I go to put gas in it will only take around 50 cents of gas and it makes the Pump click off. it takes me forever to try to fill up my tank. Not only that when my fuel gets lower then 1/4 my Fuel gauge doesn't read correctly. If Anyone Knows What the Problem could Be, Please Respond!
Money is pretty tight right now, and I feel like some of these shops are trying to take advantage of my lack of knowledge when it comes to Vehicle Repairs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello. Sounds like either your vent is plugged up or the baffle in your gas tank could be stuck. If u look up in your behind your filler neck you will find your vent hose. Disconnect it and see if u can blow air thru the line.( Not compressed air) . if no restriction there, as long as ur tank is not topped off remove the filler neck hose from the tank and check to see if the baffle is stuck. Hope this helps.

I Really Appreciate your input. I will try the information you gave me in the morning. Thank-You. I'll post the outcome. Take Care and Keep staying Safe!😊

Hello. Sounds like either your vent is plugged up or the baffle in your gas tank could be stuck. If u look up in your behind your filler neck you will find your vent hose. Disconnect it and see if u can blow air thru the line.( Not compressed air) . if no restriction there, as long as ur tank is not topped off remove the filler neck hose from the tank and check to see if the baffle is stuck. Hope this helps.

If you still have the original filler pipe, the screen at the bottom is probably plugged with rust and debris. Replacing entire filler pipe assembly would be the fix. Replaced mine a few years ago. Some folks try to ram it through from the top but you could also remove the end from the tank (after running the fuel to almost empty) and try to remove the screen.

Baffles don’t get “stuck”. They are a static thing in the tank to keep the wave motion down. As stated above it’s probably rust in the filler neck, or a venting problem.

Back