Need help ... Cruise control fail after got hit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help ... Cruise control fail after got hit

simon18309

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Exlorer Limited 4WD
Hi all, My 2011 explorer limited had an accident, which i hit a vehicle in low speed(around 10km/h). I went to the dealership and asked them to checked for it, and they said the system recorded the collision. The entire adaptive cruise control system just stop working after it. The dealer said the sensor should be ok but the module itself need to be replaced.. They asked for $5000CAD for it... I am just wondering if there is anyway to clear away the collision code or reset the system to make it start working? Or at least make the basic cruise control system works again... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find a new dealership. No "module" cost $5,000CAD. Pure robbery and just based on that quote, I highly doubt they even know what they are talking about. "Should" is not a word I want to hear when you try to rob you of money.

Hi all, My 2011 explorer limited had an accident, which i hit a vehicle in low speed(around 10km/h). I went to the dealership and asked them to checked for it, and they said the system recorded the collision. The entire adaptive cruise control system just stop working after it. The dealer said the sensor should be ok but the module itself need to be replaced.. They asked for $5000CAD for it... I am just wondering if there is anyway to clear away the collision code or reset the system to make it start working? Or at least make the basic cruise control system works again... Thanks
Have you tried changing the setting from Adaptive to Normal?
Is there damage to the area of the radar unit? It is depicted by the white dot near the driving light.

Peter

mod.jpg

I would start with checking the fuses and make sure that brake pedal switch is working. Either of these two things could stop the cruise control from working.

Sensor and module are one unit.

Look again. Speed sensor and distant sensor are two different names for the same part. You are looking at more like $1000.
Just to be sure I understand this. If this sensor I showed the location of is unserviceable, does that mean the regular (non adaptive) cruise control won't function either?
Thanks.

Peter

Look again. Speed sensor and distant sensor are two different names for the same part. You are looking at more like $1000.

Your right, I just looked at the cost and not the part numbers. But at $1000 US or $1300 Canadian + labor depending on how much of the front end needs to be pulled off at the shot it could go up fast but I do not see $5000 Canadian for replacement which would equal out to around $4000 US. But it could be close with labor.

Just to be sure I understand this. If this sensor I showed the location of is unserviceable, does that mean the regular (non adaptive) cruise control won't function either?
Thanks.

Peter

Valid question. I think this module overides the PCM making decisions on speed control. PCM I think still controls the throttle body but under the advice of the CCM.

For normal operation I would think the PCM does all the control, and the CCM is left out of the equation. Same for cars without Adaptive CC.

Your right, I just looked at the cost and not the part numbers. But at $1000 US or $1300 Canadian + labor depending on how much of the front end needs to be pulled off at the shot it could go up fast but I do not see $5000 Canadian for replacement which would equal out to around $4000 US. But it could be close with labor.

That would take 30+ hours of labor to replace a sensor in the bumper to equal that price. I think not.

I have a feeling the "module" they were referring to was not the CCM, but the RCM (Restraint Control Module.)

FORScan MIGHT be able to perform the necessary reset on the RCM.

When you think about it, killing adaptive cruise after a recorded crash was pretty smart on Ford's part... make sure the sensor alignment is correct before you begin to rely on that feature once again.

I checked the fuse and everything is fine. I also tried my best to locate the module but I don't really see it. Is it at the centre of the front bumper?

It doesn't let me to switch back to the normal cruise control either, which leave me in a painful position... I drove to New York from Toronto, and me leg became extremely painful without the cruise control to assist. Do you guys think unplugging the speed sensor will make the normal cruise control to work again?

Have you tried changing the setting from Adaptive to Normal?
Is there damage to the area of the radar unit? It is depicted by the white dot near the driving light.

Peter

View attachment 91894
No damage at all.. but my left fog was broken and I replaced it already.. The dealership said it has a mark on the bumper caused by the module...

You should change the cruise control module which would cost about 850 us dollars. It is located on the driver side right under the front bumper cover.

You should change the cruise control module which would cost about 850 us dollars. It is located on the driver side right under the front bumper cover.
That post you quoted was the last time the member was here. Being that it was almost a year ago, I'm guessing he had it repaired. It's frustrating when members don't follow up on their posts.

Peter

Um, get it fixed through car insurance? Let them worry about it?

Back