Need help deciding on a good set of AT's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help deciding on a good set of AT's

Im going to need new tires due to the fact the my Daytons(made by Firestone:mad: )tires are falling apart. I am trying to decide between the BFG ATKO, Micheline LTX AT's, and maybe Dunlop Radial Rovers. I do a lot of highway driving and my main concern is that they preform well in snow and have a long treadlife. It seems from what I read the LTX's wear like iron, but the tread seems a bit lacking. The ATKO's seem ok. Are they good on snow? The Rovers also look like a decent all terrain tire that may wear well.
I don't do a whole lot of extreme off roading, mostly ditchcrossings and fairly deep snow. They also can't suck on ice.
Any Ideas? Thanks for any input.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BFG AT's are the thing for you then. They're great in the snow. Just keep them out of the mud and you will be fine.

My BFG AT's never failed me, and they still looked almost new when I sold them with 18k miles.

I've heard the BFG are no good in the mud. Are that that bad? I do see mud offroad just usually nothing extreme or deep. I have Timberline's now and they are fair in the mud. If they were as good as the Timberlines I would be happy.

I can't compare to the tire you have now but I can tell you they clog up instantly in the mud and take about 75% throttle to clear out in 4-low :(

That prob. means they are out of the question then.:( Any ideas on the LTX or the Radial Rover? Cooper Discovery's?

I had the Rover RV's on my '95. They were a bit loud on the pavement, and tended to wander a little on the interstate. They were great in the snow though. I had no problem driving through 2+ feet of snow. I can't say how good they were in the mud.

I'll prob. head out tire shopping in a few hours. Get some prices and fight some salesman. When I bought my last tires(before winter:()Sears had a big sale. There was 4 tires I was considering that were pretty good deals. Saleman said they only had 3 of each. This year I'll tell him to put 'em on :cool:

my last two sets of tires was BFG a/ts, got 47000 miles out of 1st set on a 86 full size bronco,still had some tread on em when I sold it. Im running them on my x now. Hope to see that kind of milage again! Always good in snow wet,dry road, ok for a A/T in mud.:D

I went ahead and got the BFG's. Sears wouldn't mount them. They would only put on a P radial. The road manners are acceptable, a little whistley. I tested them in the hard pack a little and they did ok. If I get 45k out of them I'll be happy. What PSI do you run in yours?

psi depends on the tire size. I ran 34-35 cold in my 31s, dropping to as little as 12 on the trail.

I only have the 235/75/15's. I need to get the winter and summer out of them. Next winter I want to get 2 sets of rims and have summer only and winter only tires. Then I can lift it in the winter, lower it in the summer:)

Back