Need help deciding what length shock to buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help deciding what length shock to buy

Kiliona

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2" skyjacker lift (coils & AAL)on my 92 xlt. I want some rancho rs5000 shocks and on rockauto there are two options. One option is for the rs5000 shocks and says for 0-1.5" lift (part # RS5039) the other says for 2.5" lift (RS5136).

I'm pretty sure the 0-1.5 inch lift ones are just the regular length, but being ranchos can handle the 1.5. Im worried these might limit suspension travel.

The 2.5 inch ones I'm worried might bottom out.

I'm aware the stock shocks can sometimes be alright for a 2 inch lift. But mine deffinetly are not I had to jack the wheel up as far as possible and then use a big hammer to even put mine on. The fact that it took me compressing my spring enough to hold up that whole corner of my car, just to put the shock on, is what worries me about limiting my travel if i get the 0-1.5 inch shocks.

Any help is appreciated! I emailed Rancho but they haven't gotten back to me.

BTW soon to come is a writeup/review on that skyjacker 2" lift, Loving it so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also Run those coils and the Rancho shocks that Came with them , I need new ones and was wondering what Other brands people have used , I will get the part number off my Rancho's Tomorrow if I get the chance and see what I can Come up with on options ! .

I think bottoming them out is going to lesen find collapsed length s of an issue i dont think they will bottom out so i would get the 2.5s measure from mount to mount then find collapsed length if. The distance from mount to mount is 3-4 in ches longer your good

I had the skyjacker 2". 0-2" lift Pro comp shocks were fine.

I have the Skyjacker 2" and I bought the 2.5" shocks. They worked but I did bottom them out and once broke the lower mount off because of that. If I did it again I would order the 0" shocks and I would recommend you do the same.

I have the Skyjacker 2" and I bought the 2.5" shocks. They worked but I did bottom them out and once broke the lower mount off because of that. If I did it again I would order the 0" shocks and I would recommend you do the same.

*insert extended whistle here* glad you said that. I was leaning towards the 2.5 but now I'm definitely buying the 0-1.5. Thanks! and thanks everyone else for the comments, I'm getting the 1.5 and when I get them I'll measure and make sure they aren't too short.

I have rs5000's on my 94 #5039 prefect fit for 2-3" lift. front compresses to the bump stop just before the shock reaches top, which is what you want. that way you get full droop. total travel 16". To spec your shocks just drive it to a off-road shop and have them measure it up.

Back