Need help deciding which direction to go | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help deciding which direction to go

Well I went and bought myself another project 95% complete ranger

Its got a lot of great parts and needs very little to finish it. So basically I need inspiration and thoughts on which direction to go.

I can part out the Ranger and just stick with what I have in the Explorer.

I could part out the Explorer and finish the ranger.

I could finish the Ranger and have two very capable trail rigs.

Or I could take the Dana 60 and Dana 44 HD off the Ranger, put it under the Explorer and sell all remaining parts to recoup my money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could finish the Ranger and have two very capable trail rigs.

^^^^This...I don't want to see the Ranger or your Explorer become anything less.:D

asking about getting rid of a really badass explorer on an explorer forum probably wont get unbiased votes lol, i voted keep both btw. two is always better than one!

Well here is my thought process. The ranger has a really nice set of axles that my explorer could benefit from, plus the coil overs and 3 link could all be easily swapped over for minimal cost. Then I could sell my matched set of axles and the drive train (700r4 tranny, Atlas I I xfer case, transportation adapter).

The problem I have is steel has gotten so expensive and I am not allowed to wheel without a roll cage which would have to be added to the ranger. Plus, there is no backseat so I could only take on person or my son with me, not both. Explorer already has a roll cage and body protection. I also can only drive one at a time, and even if I let someone else drive it, how do I get it to the trail. I only have one tow rig.

Give me the ranger!

Me and my dad have faced this same dilemma. We want to build another rig, but you can only drive and take one with you at a time. Our thought is you have different rigs for different purposes and terrain. For us it would be a family go anywhere rig ie: Explorer and a hard core who cares if you roll it because we'll flip it back over and keep going rig. No reason for more then 2 seats.

Kevin was already the cause for the Ranger roll over

It wasn't a roll over, it was a flop, and it was not done on purpose. I didn't forsee the rock shifting. However, it was a great spotting lesson learned.

Pics might help us decide. :D

It wasn't a roll over, it was a flop, and it was not done on purpose. I didn't forsee the rock shifting. However, it was a great spotting lesson learned.

Pics might help us decide. :D

In my defense of the last Ranger bed, I give you the People's Exhibit A:
90Ranger.jpg

Based on what you said about the cage and passenger area, I'd vote for "upgrading the ex and then parting the ranger. You would then have a more capable rig, and be able to make a little cash off the un-needed parts from the ranger! Just my .02. :)

They're never on purpose.:crazy:

Besides, you don't even un-wrist your RA anymore. What trails around here CAN'T you run with Red?:dunno:

Im voting swap the axles/suspension from Ranger to Ex and part out what's left over. :thumbsup:

I vote for finish the ranger. I want to see how the front suspension does with some of the changes from mine. How much needs to be done? When it left my house it needed a shock mount crossmember to finish the front suspension if I remember right. I think it could make a great drive to the trails rig. I just want to see how the suspention handles with coilovers. I love how mine works other then the springs being to soft. With coil overs I think it will be a great setup.

It needs the engine cage/show hoop brace, better shock hoops, transmission crossmember/mount, a new lower passenger side link, wiring for art compressor and route the front air line, driver side fender trimming, front and rear bumper, winch mount, gone through and tighten up a all the lose bolts and nuts, secure all dangling wires, fuel lines, etc...

All of which the Explorer already has. You would still be able to see the suspension work as I am not going to change the design at all, just move it over.

I vote put the stuff on the explorer and sell me the axles, and then let me pay you money and beer to make sure I put the SAS on my ranger correctly when I get home from deployment :D

:thumbsup:
I vote put the stuff on the explorer and sell me the axles, and then let me pay you money and beer to make sure I put the SAS on my ranger correctly when I get home from deployment :D

- The ranger has a really nice set of axles that explorer could benefit from
- coil overs and 3 link could all be easily swapped over for minimal cost.
- Sell matched set of axles and the drive train (700r4 tranny, Atlas I I xfer case, transportation adapter).

- steel has gotten so expensive
- not allowed to wheel without a roll cage which would have to be added to the ranger.
- no backseat so could only take on person or son, not both.
- Explorer already has a roll cage and body protection.
- can only drive one at a time, only have one tow rig.

- Ranger needs the engine cage/show hoop brace, better shock hoops, transmission crossmember/mount, a new lower passenger side link, wiring for art compressor and route the front air line, driver side fender trimming, front and rear bumper, winch mount, gone through and tighten up a all the lose bolts and nuts, secure all dangling wires, fuel lines, etc...All of which the Explorer already has.

Sounds like an easy decision to me. Swap parts to the Explorer, sell the rest, go wheel and be happy.

Two trail rigs is nice, but I'd say one trail rig and one daily driver makes more sense. If you can swing two trail rigs AND a daily driver, hey, more power to ya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kevin I will tell you I should never have switched from the 91 Explorer I started out with, becaused it worked. I thought I was going in the right direction with a more purpose built rig but now I do not have the room I need and even now with the newest built BronocII that has a back seat I am not really happy with it becuase it is difficult to get in the back seats and hatch area.
I have found the local market to be soft right now for built parts, I have seen a built set of 1/2 ton ford axles not selling at $2500, shoot even stock axle sets are not selling at $400 for the pair.

Back