NEED HELP! Electrical/Light Problem... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP! Electrical/Light Problem...

pmj1183

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
2001 FORD EXPLORER SPORT> Please let me know if you can help me. My rear blinkers and brake lights work only when my tilt wheel is all the way up. As soon as I adjust it down they go out. I've tried changing the bulbs a but that was not the problem. I'm thinking that I have a loose wire in my steering console but I could not see anything. Please let me know what I can do. Also, the used car dealer that I got it from did not give me a key code for the pad on my door. I called ford and they told me that it would be on my roadside assistance card but when I found it, the card was blank. They also told me that it could be on a sticker or written in my car somewhere but they did not know where. If anyone knows anything that could help me I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your multi-function/combo switch may be bad. Sounds like it. In regards to the 5 digit code, open up the rear drivers compartment where the jack is and look straight toward the 2nd row seats. There should be a box with a 5 digit number on there. That is your code.

Thank you!!! Do you have any idea where the multi-function/combo switch is located or what I would have to do to change it?

I'd be interested in reading any responses you get. I have a 95 Sport and have a similar problem. If I tilt the wheel down, the turn signals quit working. So the wheel stays up all the time. The dealer said that the turn signal assembly in the steering housing must be too short and it needs a longer one. I thought they would all be the same length.

i have the exact same problem i just bought a 2002 ford explorer sport and everything works with the tilt up but as soon as i tilt the steering wheel down all my signals stop working

You need to remove the column covers and push the connector fully into the multifunction switch. Then make a little slack in the harness to eliminate the problem from happening again.

Back