need help fast im moving in a week and want to take my explorer with me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help fast im moving in a week and want to take my explorer with me

Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer xlt 4wd
so heres the new issue. while driving me today my abs light came on. usually i wouldnt worry about it but this is what get me. when the abs lit up the radio had a popping noise like when you plug a speaker to a radio thats already on and the speedometer bounces from 0 to about 40 then down and then back up again. some times it acts like it has died but only for a split sec. what i think is the entire electrical system is cutting in and out. what would cause that i dont know. does that sound right? please help

so heres the new issue. while driving me today my abs light came on. usually i wouldnt worry about it but this is what get me. when the abs lit up the radio had a popping noise like when you plug a speaker to a radio thats already on and the speedometer bounces from 0 to about 40 then down and then back up again. some times it acts like it has died but only for a split sec. what i think is the entire electrical system is cutting in and out. what would cause that i dont know. does that sound right? please help
The only thing I can say other than to check all the electrical connections is to check your ground.

check all the electrical connections under the hood and the ones behind the instrument panel(recently replaced the shift indicator) and everything seams ok. even though no check engine light was on i ran my diagnostic computer and a o2 sensor popped up (sensor 1 bank 2, i believe) could this be killing my engine when the mixture isnt right the turning back over when the other pistons are being fed the right mixture. im pretty good at replacing anything suspension or when im told what the issue is but when i comes to vacuums and pressures or mixtures im kinda clueless.

No, a bad o2 would just cause an improper a/f mixture, and related issues, but would not momentarily turn the truck off.

It has to be an electrical issue, and it honestly could be anywhere, up to and insluding a wire broken inside of the insulation. All you can really do is check everything again- from the battery connectors to the grounds, to the computer harness back to the ignition keyswitch.

Back