Need help figuring out a wiring problem with too much power. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help figuring out a wiring problem with too much power.

HardcoreFord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer automatic with 4 wheel drive. It has been setting for about 3 months now, and finally got it running about a week ago. I have done a bunch of repairs to it such as replacing the fuel filter, battery, battery cables, spark plugs, and etc. Then the routine repairs that are suppose to be done every so many miles or months. After I got it running, took it for a test drive to make sure there was nothing else wrong with it besides my transmission. Then I started smelling something burning as if it was rubber. We thought it was my positive battery cable. Well it turns out it was another wire that runs down by my starter. The outside layer started melting. I need to know how to get the power back to where it is suppose to be, there is too much power coming through. And why is my starter running when it is still in park? After we got it running went out the next day to get it started, and all it does is click. Plus how can I can I find and stop a transmission leak? This explorer has had 3 transmissions through it already. I'm constantly having to add ATF fluid when I get to a stopping point, before shutting the vehicle off before I go to do what I have to do. This has been the most costly part of keeping the vehicle running. Plus one time it will leak a whole bunch and the next time it won't leak at all. Any information would be helpful!... Just a little side note all of my lines that run to my transmission have been flushed already. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a bad starter solenoid on the fender

It sounds like you've got the battery cables hooked up wrong.

Thanks! The battery cables are hooked up correctly. What ever it is its draining my battery quickly.

There will be two wires going to the starter. One - a larger diameter one - will go directly from the battery positive terminal to the starter motor. The second wire is quite a bit smaller - and I assume that's the one that was burning. It comes from the starter relay (usually on the fender by the battery) and goes to the starter solenoid, the round 'tube' that is attached to the starter motor. The starter solenoid does two things; when energized it mechanically attaches the starter motor to the engine gear, and it connects the battery to the starter motor via an internal heavy-duty switch. Neither of these wires are fused nor are intended to carry battery voltage (current, actually) for more than a few seconds at a time or they get very hot. Having said this, it appears that the starter relay isn't opening when it should and therefore the smaller wire is getting hot, and yes it would drain your battery very quickly. Assuming the starter itself is working properly, it will also do some damage to the two gears (the one on the starter and the one on the engine). However, I'm surprised you aren't hearing the starter motor running also.
You should be able to start the engine in either park or neutral, not when the shift lever is in any other position.

I've already changed the starters twice now because we though that was the problem to begin with. Now I just order the starter solenoid to get it replaced. After getting my vehicle started and running, it ran just fine until I shut it off and now all it does is click. It won't even temp to start up. My explorer is usually quiet when it is running. The only part I heard when trying to go through the gears was grinding. It was bad! Plus I was having a hard time getting it to go past drive and second. Like as if something was catching on it then one good pull everything started shifting just fine. I kind of figured I messed something up when I pulled on the shifter.

I admit to being a bit dense from time to time, but have to say that although I'd like to help I don't understand the 'pulled on the shifter' part.
If the gear on the starter solenoid was still engaged while the engine was running, then you would likely be chewing up the gears as well as eventually destroying the starter. If you're now just hearing a click, that means either the battery voltage is too low (are your headlights dim and/or do they dim when you try to start?) or the starter solenoid isn't pulling in, assuming you're hearing the click from the starter relay that is located near the battery.

Back