Need help finding answers for my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help finding answers for my Explorer

jaebischer22

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I am having two issues with my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. I have taken it to multiple mechanics around my area and none of them can figure out what is wrong...but they are not afraid to offer to take apart my car to figure it out and charge me an arm and a leg. I stumbled upon this site and thought I would throw it out there.

Problem 1: My A/C is not working properly, and it only does this with my A/C. It happens more often when I am traveling at higher speeds (55+) but will happen at random. My A/C will be blowing out cold air from the vents, then will stop. You can still hear the A/C working, just not blowing out cold air. Usually about 30 second to two minutes later it will start working again. I assume that something is overheating, thats why this is happening; but nobody can tell me what it is that is overheating since it doesn't do it when its being looked at.

Problem 2: For the past couple of years now I have noticed a loud humming coming from the rear of my explorer when I accelerate. When I first noticed it I took it to get looked at and was told nothing was wrong. I have taken it to multiple places since then and nobody can figure out what it is. My vehicle still runs fine and I have had no issues (that I can tell) as a result from the humming. I have noticed that when I am traveling on the interstate and accelerating towards the higher speeds it tends to get louder. I also noticed that once I hit 65-70 mph it normally stops. Its more annoying than anything and I would like to get it fixed since I am not getting rid of the vehicle anytime soon.

Any help on my two problems would be great....

Thanks....John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having two issues with my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. I have taken it to multiple mechanics around my area and none of them can figure out what is wrong...but they are not afraid to offer to take apart my car to figure it out and charge me an arm and a leg. I stumbled upon this site and thought I would throw it out there.

Problem 1: My A/C is not working properly, and it only does this with my A/C. It happens more often when I am traveling at higher speeds (55+) but will happen at random. My A/C will be blowing out cold air from the vents, then will stop. You can still hear the A/C working, just not blowing out cold air. Usually about 30 second to two minutes later it will start working again. I assume that something is overheating, thats why this is happening; but nobody can tell me what it is that is overheating since it doesn't do it when its being looked at.

Problem 2: For the past couple of years now I have noticed a loud humming coming from the rear of my explorer when I accelerate. When I first noticed it I took it to get looked at and was told nothing was wrong. I have taken it to multiple places since then and nobody can figure out what it is. My vehicle still runs fine and I have had no issues (that I can tell) as a result from the humming. I have noticed that when I am traveling on the interstate and accelerating towards the higher speeds it tends to get louder. I also noticed that once I hit 65-70 mph it normally stops. Its more annoying than anything and I would like to get it fixed since I am not getting rid of the vehicle anytime soon.

Any help on my two problems would be great....

Thanks....John

Problem 1, no help., sorry.

Problem 2: Expert here on gear noise issues (no ego involved). You may have rear differential ring and pinion gear noise, or noise caused by a rear wheel bearing gone south. The trick is to identify the culprit. I do that using a stethoscope while running the drivetrain under power, listening at rear wheel hubs, under the pinion gear area, and on both sides of the differential center section. This info is not likely to help if you are not "into" doing your own repairs. Nor will a repair facility agree to implementing my suggestion.

The noise issue is quite old, several years? Check fluid level. Add if necessary. Inspect old fluid, stick your finger in there, look for burnt odor, color. If the noise is not such that you are worried the vehicle is about to "blow up", drive it awhile longer, paying attention to intercept worsening of the noise. A REALLY BAD differential ring & pinion gear, when makig their "death knell", will horrify the occupants of the vehicle with it's intensity. imp

For problem 1 does the air get warm or does it stop blowing.
When you say you can hear it working what exactly does that mean?

I know there's something that cuts off the compressor for the A/C with Sudden Acceleration, and Climbing Hills. It cuts off the A/C so the engine won't overheat. Check your RPM's and Engine Temp. next time it cuts out. The 2nd problem is the Rear Differential. The telltale sign is that the hum happens during Acceleration and stops when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

When it is not blowing out cold air does warmer air or hot air blows out? You may be low on freon. Start your engine and open you hood and run the A/C. Look at the compressor see if it runs constant or if it cycles on and off. If it's off and on I tend to say it's low on freon.

Back