Need help finding radio remote wire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help finding radio remote wire

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Ok guys ive looked high and low and cannot for the life of me find a 12 volt remote signal that's only on when my radio is on. Is the only one available with the factory radio 5 volts? My amp needs 12. Btw this is in my 96 with standard sound. No sub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isn't one

What does the antenna wire produce and when?

What does the antenna wire produce and when?
It's essentially logic to the motor. I tried to use it to trigger my Bluetooth to only be powered when the radio was on... No dice. 12v on a dvom but as soon it saw a load... Nothing. Couldn't even dimly light a test light.

Although it might be able to trigger a MOSFET to provide useable 12v. I'm not gonna bother since I've decided I'm ditching the stock deck.

It's essentially logic to the motor. I tried to use it to trigger my Bluetooth to only be powered when the radio was on... No dice. 12v on a dvom but as soon it saw a load... Nothing. Couldn't even dimly light a test light.

Although it might be able to trigger a MOSFET to provide useable 12v. I'm not gonna bother since I've decided I'm ditching the stock deck.

Interesting, I thought it in some way triggered a relay for the antenna. Many years ago(2006) I had to mess with the whole dash wiring of my 99, and install a normal deck and only use the speaker wires(bypass the console and sub). I guess the antenna signal is compatible with any deck, but not a usable current.

BTW, the Lincolns of the 80's often had an antenna switch, which was more than a simple switch. That module might convert the antenna signal into a current. I have a Mark VII without that "switch", but it does have a module right behind where the switch went in past models.

I'd bet that module might do the exact thing the OP needs. It's about 2"x1x1.5" and I'd guess most early 90's Lincolns have it. The 91/92 Mark VII for sure does, and likely a similar model Continental might. In mine its located behind the trim that surrounds the radio, which is a flat part with several warning lights to the right. The module is at the far right, where the front of the trim shows nothing(the antenna switch used to go there). I don't have a picture handy or I'd post one.

Interesting, I thought it in some way triggered a relay for the antenna. Many years ago(2006) I had to mess with the whole dash wiring of my 99, and install a normal deck and only use the speaker wires(bypass the console and sub). I guess the antenna signal is compatible with any deck, but not a usable current.

BTW, the Lincolns of the 80's often had an antenna switch, which was more than a simple switch. That module might convert the antenna signal into a current. I have a Mark VII without that "switch", but it does have a module right behind where the switch went in past models.

I'd bet that module might do the exact thing the OP needs. It's about 2"x1x1.5" and I'd guess most early 90's Lincolns have it. The 91/92 Mark VII for sure does, and likely a similar model Continental might. In mine its located behind the trim that surrounds the radio, which is a flat part with several warning lights to the right. The module is at the far right, where the front of the trim shows nothing(the antenna switch used to go there). I don't have a picture handy or I'd post one.
I'll have to look into that. I'm pretty sure on these, and probably my mark 8, it's built into the motor instead of being a separate module.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up. It makes me wonder if I might want to alter the antenna function, if I could with the special module. Who thinks of wanting to bring the antenna down at odd times, like in a car wash etc. I never liked the switch being in the 90 Mark VII I had, it makes the driver have to be aware of whether the antenna is up or down, a lot of the time. That was a pain, versus that I prefer it to be automatic.

I actually prefer the switch. Like times when I'm playing a CD (this is in my 93 Taurus) my antenna stays up. Stupid but it annoys me. Either way my 96 Explorer does not have a motorized antenna. Was this something that came on later trucks?

I actually prefer the switch. Like times when I'm playing a CD (this is in my 93 Taurus) my antenna stays up. Stupid but it annoys me. Either way my 96 Explorer does not have a motorized antenna. Was this something that came on later trucks?
Believe it was an option. Mine doesn't have it but I've seen other Eddie Bauer's with it. I think all limiteds were but can't confirm

It was an option on all 95+ Explorers, and standard for at least the Limited. You could add it but it does need the wires run to it from the radio area. The fender is a different shape though, that would be a bigger cost than the antenna.

On this subject... the power antenna on my '96 does not work. I can hear the motor turning, but there is no movement of the mast. What would it take to swap in the non-powered antenna? Would it just be a straight swap-out?

On this subject... the power antenna on my '96 does not work. I can hear the motor turning, but there is no movement of the mast. What would it take to swap in the non-powered antenna? Would it just be a straight swap-out?
If your motor runs, then the issue is going to be the mast(about $25 new) and possibly the plastic gears inside. You will be taking it out, which is the hard part. Get it out and open up the gear cover plate, and clean any debris out of there. Then with a new mast and grease in that gear section, it should last another 10-20 years.

Back