Need help finding the right amp.

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Allo.

Just got a custom sub box for the trac and 3 10" rockford fosgate punch 1 (10" 4ohms 150W/300W) subs and need help picking the right amp for them. I know I need a 1ohm stable amp (1.34ohm load) but how much RMS watts should I be looking for? I've been told to look for a 1000 or 1200 RMS at 1ohm stable amp...does that sound right? I was looking at a rockford fosgate T10001BD but wasn't sure if that would be too much.

Thanks.

boxes%20001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the subs only handle 150W RMS each, then wiring them together (depending on how you're doing it) will only let them handle 150-450W RMS, not 1000-1200W. I'd suggest a good Rockford amp if you can find one that is 400-500W RMS @ 1 ohm, or any good name brand that fits the criteria should work well too. Be SURE they are wired in the right configuration for a 1 ohm load on all three linked together, otherwise they'll blow in short order.

Thanks.

Thats what I thought. Maybe he meant Peak instead of RMS. What would be the right config for a 1ohm load?

3_4ohm_svc.gif

Thanks.

The pic you posted should be the right config for linking 3 single voice coil subs together for a 1 ohm load. Just be sure the amp rating is 450-500W @ 1 ohm, the normal ratings are given at 4 and 2 ohms, usually the power output at 1 ohm is harder to find.

Yea been looking at 1 ohm amps all day and making sure to find the 1 ohm amp RMS on each. Seems like there is alot of 2 and 4 ohm amps but very little 1 ohm amps with low RMS. The search continues. Thanks.

My Soundstream Reference 300 would do ½ ohm in stereo and 1 ohm in mono.

Maybe look into a Soundstream 700s.

Thanks toy will look into those.

Back