Need help finding the right component speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help finding the right component speakers

Blaylock

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hey guys, I am thinking about upgrading my door speakers in my 03 Explorer. I want to find a good budget friendly amp (around 100 bucks, give or take 30?) that can do between 75-100W x4 RMS.
I currently have an MRP-M500 amp with a 10" Type-R sub (I like Alpine)

I need help finding decent door speakers that have an RMS around 75 or 80 for each door to go with the prospective amp for around $70 for each set. I REALLY want components in the front, and coaxials in the rear doors. I was hoping to find Alpine Type-S components, but I can't find any smaller than 6.5" (need 6x8 and under).

I also found these 6" Kenwood components which would be absolutely perfect for me, but Sonic Electronics says that they won't fit my doors. Why would a 6" speaker not fit in a 6x8 with a bracket?

What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with the Kenwoods? Any recommendations for me? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have Memphis in my Sport. They are 5.25 Components. They are being powered by Alpine 4 channel.

Just use a set of 6.5s. Make a baffle to mount them in. I have 6.5s in my Ranger.

Just use a set of 6.5s. Make a baffle to mount them in. I have 6.5s in my Ranger.

So I can put 6.5"s in a 6x8 with different mounting? That would make things a lot easier.

Does anyone have experience with Renegade brand speakers? I see a lot of good combo packages on Sonic Electronix but a lot have Renegade speakers, they have high specs, but some information seems missing, there are no reviews, and they seem pretty low priced considering their performance claims.

IMAG0496.jpg

ive got these (4) powered by only my jvc kw avx640, no 4 channel amp. theyre 65watt rms (6x8 3-way) and very clean sounding, however, they have very, very little bass.

i dont know the difference between component and coaxial but what about something like this?
http://www.fordf150.net/photos/data/500/IMG_20081.JPG
5 1/4" or 6" for bass and the tweeter for clarity?

Since I can get a 6x8 to 6.5 adapter, I was thinking these Hifonics Zeus ZXi speakers or those Kenwoods I mentioned in the first post, powered by Power Acoustic BAMF amp. We just bought a system for my brother and we are going to install it within the week and I will see how his sounds and decide what I will get after that.

Don't fear the oversized speakers. A little ingenuity and your good! I just finished installing JL Audio C3-650 which is a 6-3/4". Stay away from oval speakers, go with round ones. I had the same question a while back and thought of something..... have you EVER seen anything other than round for home speakers? No, and there's a reason for it. Oval speakers distort easier than rounds. Some people argue this, but just think about it. Oval home speakers. Never seen 'em.

Ok thanks!

I want to be able to see the speakers and use the new speaker grills, but the door panel has that oval plastic grill already on there.Does anyone have pictures of speakers with the speaker grill installed and the plastic door panel cut out?

So I decided to go with those Hifonics speakers, the Poineer GM-D9500F, an amp kit (only for the power wires) and power distribution block from KnuKonceptz, and I also bought a 9 conductor speaker wire which will make wiring super easy. I even have a little sound insulation left over from installing my brother's stereo combo. I will be receiving my parts over the next week or so and will post up pictures of the installation.

If you still need help with an amp, hifonics makes great stuff for a relatively low budget. I got a 420W 4 channel from sonixelectronix and a 4 gauge wiring kit for under 200. If i remember it was $160. Im powering a sub and my rear speakers with it and have had it for 5 months now. Its in my 01 ST where the stock sub used to be behind the seat. Almost zero ventilation and the thing does a great job of keeping heat off.

Since I can get a 6x8 to 6.5 adapter, I was thinking these Hifonics Zeus ZXi speakers or those Kenwoods I mentioned in the first post, powered by Power Acoustic BAMF amp. We just bought a system for my brother and we are going to install it within the week and I will see how his sounds and decide what I will get after that.

I have the ZXi speakers and love them. They even have a little LED light on them if you wanted to take the time to wire it up! I didnt haha, but the speakers sound great. If you are into rock or anything like that the highs and lows all sound great. Hip Hop/ Rap sounds good too if you like bumpin' over quality, just crank the bass and leave treb about 1/2. I listen to a lot of Dubstep and have 1 10" and my 2 rears powered by a 4 Channel amp, the speakers put off a decent amount of bass. Obviously the sub dwarfs the bass of the speakers, but its still noticeable.

Actually I installed everything at the beginning of the month, I have been meaning to take pictures and make a video, just haven't gotten around to it yet with the semester starting. I think you guys will like how I mounted the tweeters in the front doors ;)

Back