• Register Today It's free!

need help got questions and codes

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
City, State
maricopa, az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi guys im new to the foorum, and trying to save this truck from the scrap pile. Lol anyhoot I by oy the low down, 1994 explorer bought it for 1000 thought it was a steel but it feels like it has a miss, replaced typical tune up stuff including a coil steal missing, I have another problem it doesn't like to downshiftt when coming to a stop here is the codes. KOEO
335-egr 336-egr/ exhaust psi high 337-egr 536-brake light switch

KOER
336- egr 411- cant control rpm 538- insufficent rpm

Please help ive kinda figured egr is screwed but any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

335, 336, 337 are all related to the same thing.

The DPFE sensor needs to be replaced: common failure, get the lifetime warranty; you will be replacing this as often as twice a year.

28a2fddd-2f2e-4fa3-adf5-060825a6dae4_zps863293bd.jpg

The part number for this is EGR 151, You can covert it to the later model EGR 155 or 153 I can't remember; but it is the one with a oval plug not the "D" shaped plug. This conversion makes this repair last for years and years.

Most AP stores sell it as a kit that comes with the plug with pig tail to do the swap: the one in the pic is the conversion.

NOTE: It could just be the hoses. If you have to replace the hoses use high temp silicone hoses; rubber vacuum or fuel line will melt.

This will clear up your rough running.

411, and 538. Ignore those; During the test inputs are required from the driver, if you don't time it right you get those codes.

Thanks for the help ill definitely give those a try I think I have a bad head gasket did a tune up now its smoking white kinda gray any thoughts

Check if the smoke from the tailpipe is water vapor. Hold a paper towel under the exhaust flow for 30 seconds, and see if the towel gets wet (coolant), dark (oily), or smells of gasoline.

You can also pressure test the cooling system.

Look for evidence of coolant mixing with the oil.

Head gaskets don't generally fail on their own in these engines, the stock head castings develop small cracks and the cracked head will never seal again properly. Permanent fix is aftermarket (not remanufactured) heads.

Huuumm, White smoke is usually Transmission fluid.

You said earlier your having downshift issues. May want to check the vacuum modulator hose for trany fluid. Could be a bad modulator.

If the diaphragm is busted it'll suck trans fluid into the intake through the vacuum line.

Yeah I changed the modulator already didn't see trans fluid coming out of the vacuum line, on a good note I changed the sensor dpfe with a lifetime and like magic she holds idle I love it thanks for showing me how to clean the governor ill try that after I get the smoke situation figured out ill keep you posted

:popcorn:

Well I got to diagnosing the smoke and have determined it is in fact coolant, probably a head gasket all well

Well I got to diagnosing the smoke and have determined it is in fact coolant, probably a head gasket all well

Remember what arco777 said; it is not likely that the gaskets failed without the heads cracking.

It is cheaper and far less headache to replace with aftermarket "new" castings.

Here's a set on the Bay Bay: King cylinder head is reputable and will treat you right. You do want the 93TM castings for your 94'. Call (e-mail) King to verify before you buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-0-NE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ab11aba8&vxp=mtr

Correct me if I'm wrong on that one arco777, 93TM right?

I believe so, 93TM. However the eBay link you posted appears to be for a single head.

I believe so, 93TM. However the eBay link you posted appears to be for a single head.

Yep, it is, but King probably has a set. Just a point in the right direction for "The phoenix"

Thanks guys ill definitely shoot him a email

ARCO777 or FR-425, a cracked head would likely be caused by severe overheating, yes?

Overheating can cause it, but honestly I'm not convinced that the stock castings don't just crack on their own in some cases due to heat cycling.

arco777 Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to purchase another Gen1 a bit later this year, most likely a '94 Limited, for either parts or restoration. Which one depends on cost and condition. My wife and I like the Gen1 so I want to keep two of them running reliably as long as possible. If they're prone to head failure then when I rebuild an engine I'll be sure to include the aftermarket heads.

Well guys I was tearing the manifolds off and found a lot of build up inside, it was a black crusty build up it was all over the iat sensor the runners clear down to the intake valves so im thinking that I'm gonna try replacing the gaskets and cleaning out the junk befor tearing the heads off any thoughts

Also there is a smell of gas in the oil I also have seafoam in the fuel tank

Well guys I was tearing the manifolds off and found a lot of build up inside, it was a black crusty build up it was all over the iat sensor the runners clear down to the intake valves so im thinking that I'm gonna try replacing the gaskets and cleaning out the junk befor tearing the heads off any thoughts

Typically if its a lower intake gasket or head gasket, the intake will look clean.normally when one of those fail water gets into the motor and then is sucked up as vapor through the intake, thus the steam cleans the intake runners. .cracked head, typically the water is leaked and burned in the cylinder and goes out the exhaust..of course this is not always the case..

Smell of gas couod be a bad fpr, check the vacuum lines for gas in them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back