Need Help, grinding and chirping noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help, grinding and chirping noise

raysum

Reaction score
Need Help, grinding, pitched noise

I went to crank my 1993 Explorer last night and I hear this awful grinding, high pitched chirping noise. The noise is the worst when I am idling and better as I drive but never goes away. Also, my Explorer will crank initially but immediately cuts off if I don't rev the engine and get it into gear. So, this evening I removed the serpentine belt and tested my pulley's and nothing but I still have the sound....what could it be? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it sound normal while cranking? It sounds like the starter might be staying engaged in the flywheel.

Yes it sounds normal while cranking and then the noise starts....how do I fix that, just buy a new starter? That would make sense to why I was having a tough time solving the problem.

does the sound come from the top of the motor or the bottom? if its the top i would check the IAC that can make some weird noises

I would say the sound is going from the bottom of the motor even though it is hard to tell since it echoes around so much. It is driveable but when I crank it I have to immediately go into gear or the X will shut off. If I replace my starter will it correct this noise?

i've never heard a starter making a highpitched chirp before if you have something wrong with your starter or flexplate you will have a metalic sound to it it sounds lliek a belt either not enough tention on it or a part giving to much resistance take off the belt while the engine is cold and run the engine for a min. not to long and see if the sound goes away. if it does your problem is in the belt line somewhere good luck

I orginally thought I had a problem with my belt and removed it then I cranked it and still had the same problem so I eliminated the belt issue. Actually the sound I have is a mechanical sound, you can hear especially well after I cut of the motor as the sound usually lasts for a second like something is winding down....make sense...

it could be a bearing going out somewhere if the sound muffled at all like it is behind somthing cam bearing timing tentioner. do this real quick unplug the IAC while the truck is running and see if that changes the sound any or changes the idle at all try and find out where the sound is actually coming from since you ruled out belt or accessories the way you said it goes for a second after the motor is stopped kinda sounded like it might be a fan clutch going out but try that and try and find out where the sound is coming from front rear top bottom you might want to check you intake tubes for any thing that could cause a whisle or noise good luck

The sound is muffled which makes it hard to find. I went out and disconnected the IAC. I could not even keep the explorer running with the IAC disconnected, does that mean the IAC is bad? I appreciate your help with this since I am a newbie in working on my explorer.

An update...I went out and purchased and installed a new IAC valve. Mine had never been replaced so what the heck. But I still have the problem, the sound comes from the bottom near where the starter is. Also, my truck still does not idle very long before it shuts off...any other ideas....

if the when you disconnected the iac and the truck tried to die that's good that means it's working right hmm i would take the iac back and get a starter if it's not that then it might be somthing in the trans or the rear of the motor i think now the only way for me to give you a good diagnosis is to actually bethere and listen to the sound i'm out of ideas

Thanks....I am thinking the same thing about the starter. How would a starter react if it is going bad? I am just going to keep the IAC valve since mine was really dirty and it does have 170,000 miles on it. Thanks for you help

your starter could possibly be hanging and not fully dissengaging from the flex plate make sure the starter bolts are tight if they are try and replace the starter and see if that does the trick other wise i'm out of ideas on this it's just really hard to diagnose on a forum

Back