Need help identifying squealing noise comming from drivetrain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help identifying squealing noise comming from drivetrain

Dave S

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, South Carolina/ Charlotte.....home of Nascar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD
I have a 2000 AWD Explorer with about 85K miles on it. I have had this noise for a long time (over the last 50K miles) but now it's driving me nuts and I need to pinpoint the source of it. It is intermittent as well so that makes it even harder. I can go for weeks without hearing it and then it comes back.

First let me explain what happens. At speeds from about 20 to 50 mph I can hear this squeak or Squeal. It sounds exactly like a brake pad dragging and the pitch frequency increases and decreases with speed. I don't think it's a brake pad though because applying the brakes does nothing to eliminate it nor change the pitch of the noise. I have also tried applying the emergency brake as well and that does nothing. Turning the wheels back and forth abrubtly does nothing. I have checked all my u-joints for slop (thinking that maybe the grease may be gone in one of them) and I can't feel any loosness in them either. So I am stumped.:confused: To make matters worse I cannot tell if it comming from the front of the vehicle or the rear and because it is AWD it is very difficult to spin any of the wheels fast enough by hand with the car on jacks to try and identify it's source.

Can any one give me further advice on how to pinpoint it or has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Thanks.

Dave

Dust Excluder Seals on the front bearings. Common problem, simple solution, and there's a TSB issued with an updated part number for the dust excluder seals.

Run a quick search and all the info will be yours. :)

Thanks for your help Joe. :thumbsup:

I found the TSB and a bunch of other postings on the subject. I noticed in one of your posts you mentioned it took about three times before yours was fixed properly. Do you know what the issue was? This fix will be on my nickel so I want it done right from the get go. I also don't know if this is a DIY job, but hopefully it is..........any opinions on this?

Dave

IIRC, it was a material problem. The revised seal was a slightly different material.

Here's the repair procedure:

Perform the following for each side of the vehicle:

Perform the front halfshaft removal procedure per Section 205-04 of the appropriate model year Workshop Manual.
Restrain the halfshaft assembly by the outboard (wheel end) joint outer race. Clamp with a vise on the exposed metal surface only. The CV joint should be in an upright position (splined end up). Be careful not to damage the boot or boot clamp.
Remove the old seal by prying it off the shaft.
Clean the outer race of the CV joint of any remaining foreign matter.
Install the new Front Halfshaft Excluder Seal (YL2Z-3K070-AA) by pressing it onto the outer race of the outboard CV joint by hand or with an appropriate hand tool. All seal markings will be facing the bell of the joint (away from the stem).
NOTE: BE CAREFUL TO ONLY PRESS ON THE EXPOSED STEEL PORTION OF THE SEAL. START THE SEAL ON THE HALFSHAFT BY HAND, AND THEN PRESS ON THE EXPOSED STEEL PORTION OF THE SEAL IN 20 DEGREE INCREMENTS AROUND THE SEAL UNTIL IT IS FULLY SEATED AND PARALLEL TO THE CV JOINT FACE. BE CAREFUL TO AVOID DAMAGING THE RUBBER PORTION OF THE SEAL.

Spread an approximately 3mm (1/8") thick bead of High-Temperature Wheel Bearing Grease (E8TZ-19590-A) onto the new seal lips.
Clean the inner surface of the knuckle (-3K185-/-3K186-). This is the metal surface the seals will ride against.
Perform the halfshaft installation procedure per Section 205-04 of the appropriate Workshop Manual.
Verify that the noise is no longer present.

As for being a do-it-yourself? If you think you can pull the front halfshafts yourself, then go for it. It'd probably take a shade-tree mechanic about an hour per side (if the rotors come off the hubs nicely).

-Joe

Back