Need help installing fog lights! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help installing fog lights!

My 2000 X didn't come with fogs and want to install some on it. I got some stock ones I'm going to put in the stock locations. I'm going to install a bezel with the stock fog light switch and wire it into there. I want to wire it up so that it's independent of the running/headlights so that I can turn them on whenever I want as long as the ignition is on run or Acc. It's probably easier to install it that way too I'm guessing? What kind of relay do I need and how would I go about installing these? What wires do I need to tap into and so forth.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the wiring should be in your truck, for the same year of fog lights. The relay won't be in the relay box, under the air cleaner, but the wiring is.

Installing them stock would be easy, and the way to start. Get them to work first, then rewire the relay to control the fog lights the way you want to. There are two relays which affect the fog lights, and it should only take a little time to rewire them. The real time is looking at the relay schematics, and planning the change. Good luck,
DonW

I too agree with the stock lights.

You can make them better with the addition of SilverStar bulbs.

Good luck ....

It's sounds like you're saying that the relays for the fog lights are already in there even though it didn't come stock with fog lights? I know the wiring harnesses for the fog lights aren't there like they are in some peoples Xs. But it does look like the fog light switch connector is there.

CDW6212R said:
There are two relays which affect the fog lights, and it should only take a little time to rewire them. The real time is looking at the relay schematics, and planning the change. Good luck,
DonW

Check the FAQs. There is a wiring diagram for fog lights. Just follow that and they'll work fine.
I doubt there is much wire in your veh. for fogs if they didnt come on it from the factory.

I looked at some wiring diagrams. It looked like they were for X's with fog lights already in them therefore having fog light relays already. That and I'm not very good at reading them. I'm starting from scratch basically and am not good at figuring out wiring. Any extra help would be appreciated.

Before you start adding individual wires, are you absolutely sure that there are no fog light connectors behind the bumper? If they are there, they surely would be attached to something, and not hanging loose. The relays wouldn't be there, but I thought that the wires would be. Meaning you would only need to plug in the relays. LOL,
Don

I JUST installed fogs on my '00 with no stock fogs. I did not have a wiring harness, so I had to use the one supplied and wire everything myself. But that was the easy part.

I wired my relay to the light switch since they are fogs, not driving lights and I had to pull the kickpanel under the dash and splice into the headlight switch for that, but it wasn't too hard.

The WORST part was mounting the brackets. It may have been easier if I pulled the bumper cover, but I did not want to attempt that. Anyway, first off, pulling the plugs is no picnic. They are bolted in from the top ahd you have to reach into a 2" x 6" hole to get to them. Then... I tried to utilize the bolt holes for the plugs and my brackets wouldn't fit. Because of the bumper, I couldn't drill new holes either. So I wound up fabricating a bracket out of a bar of aluminum. Than I had to squeeze my hand and wrench back into that tiny space to bolt in the new bracket. But otherwise, 4" inch fogs direct fit in nicely and you should have plenty of room on your dash for a clean / almost stock looking switch.

I have pics that I'll email to anyone if they want them. jeffrey.meyer14@verizon.net

Yeah me and Monmix looked under there comparing it to his 2000 Sport which does have fogs and we couldn't find anywhere to hook them too.

CDW6212R said:
Before you start adding individual wires, are you absolutely sure that there are no fog light connectors behind the bumper? If they are there, they surely would be attached to something, and not hanging loose. The relays wouldn't be there, but I thought that the wires would be. Meaning you would only need to plug in the relays. LOL,
Don

I just sent the pics to Al. Like I said, the wiring is the easy part. Just have a wire coat hanger or similar to fish the wiring through the firewall to your dash. Jeff

Here are Jeff's pictures ....

Attachments

• jefffog1.jpg
    jefffog1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 782
  • jefffog2.jpg
    jefffog2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 787
  • jefffog3.jpg
    jefffog3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 749

and more ....

Attachments

• jefffog4.jpg
    jefffog4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 807
  • jefffog5.jpg
    jefffog5.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 763

a few more ....

Attachments

• jefffog9.jpg
    jefffog9.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 728
  • jefffog8.jpg
    jefffog8.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 764
  • jefffog7.jpg
    jefffog7.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 781

aldive said:
Here are Jeff's pictures ....

God Dam that looks good! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• jefffog2.jpg
    jefffog2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 726

THANKS!!!!! :D :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good Jeff. What size (diameter) are the lights? Are they Pilots?
Thats a really good switch mount also. :thumbsup:

Back