Need help Loose Steering. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help Loose Steering.

Reaction score
City, State
New Boston, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey guys i have a 1992 ford explorer and we've had it for about 6 months now. I've always noticed that it has some play in the steering (like 30 degrees of movement where nothing happens). Now that my wife is driving it she does feel comfortable with it. What could be the problems that cause this and how easy is it to fix.
This is my first explorer and i know on the f150s and broncos there is a bolt on the steering box you can tighten to help take up the slack, is there the same thing on the explorers.

All help is appreciated.
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if there are any adjustments on the steering box or not. I would check the tie rod ends, ball joints, and wheel bearings though.

You might have stripped splines on the piece that connects the steering column to the steering box. Mine was stripped, and I had about 30 degrees of play. Have someone turn the wheel lightly from side to side while you watch the column and box with the hood open.

You are correct the steering box has the adjusting screw on top like the other Fords. You'll need to remove the serpentine belt and have several socket extensions handy to access the jam nut and adjusting screw. It is much easier to reach the adjusting nut with the extensions as room is very tight in that area. Just back off the jam nut tighten the screw and tighten up the jam nut.. If you over adjust the wheel will be hard to move.

What should i look for when i check the tie rod ends, wheel bearings and ball joints?

Look at the tie rod joints for obvious damage or looseness. Also, on the steering shaft, just below where it comes through the firewall, there is a little universal joint that connects it to the lower steering shaft. The U-joint has a rubber piece in the middle. Make sure this piece isn't schredded or broken.

Bob

Hi all,

I have a 93 with the same idnetical problem. I have replaced basically everyhting in the front end over that last 2 years, tie rod ends, ball joints.... I went as far as replacing the steering gear and a alignment. the wandering has really gotten better. But there is still a little play. the best way to describe it is if you had the steering wheel locked and turn it back and forth from locked to locked is the amount of play. I can grab the intermdiate shaft and twist it back forth and watch the new steering gear input shaft move with it.

Is there something in the column that can just tighten the whole thing up. it is really easy to steering now. And the adjustment on top of the new steering gear is not adjustable.

Back