Need Help Modding Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

kai_mana808

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0
Hey guys, I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, 5.0, 2 wheel drive. I'm in the process of building this SUV for off road use. I need suggestions for limited slip in the rear, lift/suspension, lights/light bars and such. I'm also looking for a spare tire carrier to mount on the rear on the outside of it without a hitch. Go ahead and throw up sites I can find stuff for a reasonable price and any ideas that I should do to it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is too much stuff to list on here. Search out anything you want to find out about and you will be 7 or 8 windows in to this site before you know it

The spare tire carrier is going to have to be a custom job. Try to find a welder in your area that does custom work.

Also, search the registry sections for additional ideas.

SAS!! Swap out with 5 speed 4x4 tyranny
Or pre runner with twin i-beams

talk to james at rlc hes a vindor on here and doses great work i got mine from him
photo.jpg

My first "offroad" mod to a 2wd Ex would be a front axle and a transfer case. :D

Why would you want to do that with a 2WD? Get a 4WD and start from there.

Haha I will trade you my xlt awd 5.0 1999 explorer for your 2wd one I would rather have one for on road not to big into off roading as much haha all joking aside gonna watch to see how you build up your explorer good luck

If you got 2wd then twin traction beems out of a older ranger will be perfect for prerunners

Back