Need help on buying an AWD Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help on buying an AWD Explorer

knockaboutman

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 SOHC Limited
My family and I are moving from our 93 Explorer and going to buy a fully loaded 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 AWD. The dealer will sell it to us for $7000 with all the fees and taxes included. It has 129,000 miles, one owner, no wrecks and in great condition. We want to make sure that we are getting a good deal.

Not too familiar with second gens. I was debating about the V8 vs V6 for a long time and have read the threads about pros and cons.

Anything to look for or advice about the this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great truck. I've got a '99 which is almost identical to the '00 in almost every way. I've got a LOT fewer miles than 129,000 (I actually have less than that in km too which is .6 miles). I'd be lucky (and unrealistic) to expect to get close to $7,000 for it and mine has a LOT of upgrades vis a vis stock (including the venerable Torque Monster Headers). I couldn't even get $7,000 CAD (which is less than par against the USD again).

That's too much for that truck. Keep looking and try to find a private sale. Dealers need to make money after all so they charge way too much. 2nd gen 5.0 equipped Exploders are great trucks but not for that money.

(Then again I saw a forum member recently put a rusty '95 with a lot more miles on CL for $4,000+ so stranger things do happen. :D)

I just paid $3000 for this 2000 XLT,mind you it was high mileage,the Blue Book value on yours is about $5000,the dealer is trying to charge retail,excellent condition with is $7000.I wouldn't pay that.You can get a better deal if you look around.For 7 K that thing had better be in mint condition.:D
th_006.jpg

Like everyone else, I think 7 grand is way high.
To get a real feel for what they are going for, search fleabay for trucks that sold in your area.
I recently passed on a much lower mileage (87,000) V8/AWD Mountaineer that sold for 2700. I would say 3500 to 4500 would be about right around me for that truck, flawless (really, no such thing) or not.

My family and I are moving from our 93 Explorer and going to buy a fully loaded 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 AWD. The dealer will sell it to us for $7000 with all the fees and taxes included. It has 129,000 miles, one owner, no wrecks and in great condition. We want to make sure that we are getting a good deal.

Not too familiar with second gens. I was debating about the V8 vs V6 for a long time and have read the threads about pros and cons.

Anything to look for or advice about the this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JK

So if I understand the $7k includes the taxes and fees. So that means the dealer is selling for around $5500 - $6000 depending on what taxes are in your area. That's still not a great deal. I would have a look around on cars.com, autotrader, craigslist, and kijiji to see what others are asking for the same year/model. $4500-5000 is probably better.

It sounds like the dealer you are working with is willing to deal. I'd walk in with the amount of money I would be willing to pay and put the ball in his court. It's alot harder for the dealer to say no when the money and the sale is sitting right in front of him.

Way to much money. In my area they are buying those at auction from between 2500 and 3000. I'm all for people making money and staying in business but thats a little steep. 4500, 5000 tops would be a good price.

Agreed- over 120k should be a $3-$4k truck. I'd find a private party as well, they're out there. Also make sure there isn't any rust on the rockers- either above the running board by the rear doors, and also behind the running boards in the same place. Obvious places too- behind the rear lip of the hatch, the inner lower lip of the doors, etc...

Not sure where you're at, but there could be rust. If not in your area, check anyway, it could have been from out of town.

Any pictures?

Check the transfer case for sealant to see if anyone has been in there, and for other parts for junkyard scribbles. Check the stickers on all of the major body panels to make sure the panels are original and the VIN matches them...

I bought my 2000 moutaineer 5.0 AWD Premier in 2005 from a Ford dealership for $8000 with 99,000 miles. Today I wouldn't pay more than $4500 for a mint explorer or mountaineer. I would defintely pick the V8 over the V6. A buddy has a 2000 explorer with a V6 I get the same if not better mpg and I can pull a loaded horse trailer with no problems.

So if I understand the $7k includes the taxes and fees. So that means the dealer is selling for around $5500 - $6000 depending on what taxes are in your area.

It sounds like the dealer you are working with is willing to deal. I'd walk in with the amount of money I would be willing to pay and put the ball in his court. It's alot harder for the dealer to say no when the money and the sale is sitting right in front of him.

10 year old Explorer (2000) in Minnesota = $10 sales tax.That was nice,it's a flat fee.I agree,walk in with $5000,put $4500 on the table and tell him that's what you will pay.Tell him you have been to KBB and Edmund's http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html to check the value.And for even that it better be mint,no body damage and everything works.:D

Don't show the other $500 unless you have to squabble,anything more then $5000,run out the door.You can do better,it's just a ride.

Step 5 Review Edmunds.com Pricing Report
2000 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD Utility Shown2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD True Market Value Pricing
Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
National Base Price $2,954 $4,014 $5,210
Optional Equipment $75 $98 $138
Limited Slip Differential $34 $45 $63
Compact Disc Changer $41 $53 $75
Color Adjustment
Dark Red $-11 $-15 $-19
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code 56001 $-18 $-25 $-32
Mileage Adjustment
129,000 miles $0 $0 $0
Condition Adjustment