Need help on Ford 2001 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help on Ford 2001 explorer

talebctg

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
Hey guys

I have a Ford explorer 2nd generation 2001 model, i want to convert it to 3rd generation 2004 model Ford explorer

Can i swap all parts from ( such as headlight, tail lights, bonnet fender bumper, engine, doors etc ) 2004 ford explorer to 2001 ford explorer ??

Please help me

951DF8CA-6D30-4C89-89E1-E287F1BE12EC.jpeg

E5C63988-6BD8-4D4D-A018-B0C4AD5CCB0B.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 3rd gens are quite a bit larger. Ibknow people for 1st to 2nd gen conversions but haven' heard of 2nd to 3rd. Do you just like the look of the 3rd gens better? Personally I like the look of the 2nd gens better but that just me. Plus the rear side windows are different and different C pillars.

The 3rd gens are quite a bit larger. Ibknow people for 1st to 2nd gen conversions but haven' heard of 2nd to 3rd. Do you just like the look of the 3rd gens better? Personally I like the look of the 2nd gens better but that just me. Plus the rear side windows are different and different C pillars.

Hey

Thanks for the reply, actually i want to restore my gen 2 explorer, I am getting a donor explorer which is 3rd gen, I was looking for 2001 explorer as donor but not getting it, i am from Bangladesh, Explorer is very rare here, i need to bring from overseas, i have got 2004 explorer in Dubai, not getting any 2001 yet

The 2nd gen and 3rd gen are two different platforms.

About the only thing you can swap between the two are the wheels and drivetrain if they are both 4.0L SOHC.

The body panels are not swap-able between the two.

Not too many parts from a 3rd gen will swap to a 2nd gen, they are not as similar as the 1st two generations. I would recommnd trying to find a second gen. Anything from 1995 to 2001 will work. It' neat to hear of an explorer enthusiast in Bangladesh, I had a college professor who was from Bangladesh, nice guy. Not sure on shipping costs but if you could find a company to ship to you, the explorers are very inexpensive now days in the states, I paid $700 for mine and have heard of other people getting them for as little as $200. What parts are you needing from a donor vehicle?

Ditto, the 3rd generation Explorer is very different as far as swapping anything. About the only thing which I can think of is the V6 transmissions, or the guts of those, and the SOHC V6. I don't think any other parts will swap easily or at all. The wheels even changed offset beginning in 2002, they are more inboard by about 20mm or so.

I hope that is a 4.0 V6, because that's about the only version of a 2nd gen you might find outside of the US. What do you need to restore that 2001, it looks intact from those pictures?

I'll bet it needs the SOHC engine work, and the estimates there to fix it are very high.

Not too many parts from a 3rd gen will swap to a 2nd gen, they are not as similar as the 1st two generations. I would recommnd trying to find a second gen. Anything from 1995 to 2001 will work. It' neat to hear of an explorer enthusiast in Bangladesh, I had a college professor who was from Bangladesh, nice guy. Not sure on shipping costs but if you could find a company to ship to you, the explorers are very inexpensive now days in the states, I paid $700 for mine and have heard of other people getting them for as little as $200. What parts are you needing from a donor vehicle?

Hey Thanks for the info

Actually i want to change everything and give the Explorer a mint condition :)

Well search around this forum, in the 2nd generation forums, to see what others have done. You should find lots of ideas that you can apply to your truck. There's a ton of possibilities, but using body or suspension parts from different generation trucks isn't likely to work out well.

An odd person or two has made an attempt to graft a different Ford model onto a 2nd gen, we've seen similar tries with the 3rd gen, but most people won't say they don't like it, we try to be supportive.

Back