• Register Today It's free!

NEed Help on Intakes

69Explorer69

Reaction score
City, State
Hagerstown MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 4dr
ok here it goes i am going to instal a 2 inch lift this week end...i also wanna get rid of the stock air box as it takes up alot of room..What kinda of cold air intake can i use...Maybe i can make one my ownself???What type of material do i need to use and what size should i jump it up to from the stock size??:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you seen a change in anything with it???DOes it make a big differance???

it improves the rpm answer as well as better mileage. And installation took me around 20 minutes.

i was reading the site and i could only find that it comes with the filter..does it come with the hole air tube from intake out to the filter?

It comes only with the air filter and base to fix to to the intake tube.

Somewhat on topic and something I've been pondering lately, has anyone tried making an intake tube from the pieces of piping you can buy in Autozone for making CAIs?
The only company that seems to make one for our first gens is iFab and while those are nice and all I have an Autozone right up the street.
I've noticed they have many different lengths and bends and all necessary hardware.
I suppose I should answer my own question with a piece of string and 20 minutes to Autozone huh?

Yeah, I've read that thread 20 times. I am in no way shape or form interested in using ABS or PVC to make an intake tube. I want shiny metal pipe and preferably pre-fabbed for such installations.
PVC and ABS look like crap. I already have an intake tube made from plastic.

This friday I'll be going to autozone to find out if I can indeed make an intake tube out of the sections of piping they sell. I'll make sure to post all that I find.

Yeah, I've read that thread 20 times. I am in no way shape or form interested in using ABS or PVC to make an intake tube. I want shiny metal pipe and preferably pre-fabbed for such installations.
PVC and ABS look like crap. I already have an intake tube made from plastic.

This friday I'll be going to autozone to find out if I can indeed make an intake tube out of the sections of piping they sell. I'll make sure to post all that I find.

I know... I said same general theory. Thought it would be helpful for references such as measurements.... I'm aware pvc looks like crap.

As for the subject of intakes to rid yourself of the stock air box, someone mentioned the kkm intake earlier in this thread.

Anyways, I have argued with several people on here several times who are convinced their butt dyno registers a huge change in horsepower and throttle response when they put on that overpriced air filter. I figured, meh, why argue, I'll buy one and put the truck on the dyno. Didn't feel like waiting till dyno time, and I wanted to see if there were any fuel mileage returns or if the filter somehow defied the laws of physics and did make some kind of noticeable change. Installed the KKM intake today, installation took about 5-10 minutes. Drove around for 20 minutes, various types of driving, in town, highway, WOT starts, accelerating from one speed to another.

Yeah, no change.... I'm sure you pick up a few horsepower at like 4300 rpm or some nonsense, but nothing in lower RPMs, and it would be nice if it picked up 1/2 a mpg... but I doubt the mileage will change that much. There was no change in "throttle response" (as if there would be anyways, physics people physics). Spend money on it if you want. I don't recommend it unless you have done quite a bit of other modification to your engine, induction system and exhaust.

I'll post up dyno numbers in a couple months if I can still get dyno time, and I saved the stock air box for comparison runs.

I didn't mean to come off as negative in that last post so hopefully no harm done there.

As far as the KKM intake I certainly have no interest in wasting my money either. Replace my air box with a conical filter, maybe, since I'm planning on replacing the intake tube anyway. (Mine has a hole punctured in the accordian section closest to the MAF) But it will just be one off the shelf that fits and filters. I don't expect to see any change in performance.

for the price of the kkm filter i would rather not. i would be intrested in seeing how you accomplish your intake makeover punjab deffinently show pics

well about the pipes and junk at autozone... all that IS plastic with a fake chrome paint on it, just look inside you can tell its plastic. easy to break too i built one for my car.. and tok it off and bought an injen rd series, anyways on the X intake topic, the kkm is good, im doing that and then getting aircraft alluminum bent for the air tube.

It made a big difference in my 94,but I also got rid of the stock restrictive muffler.Around town mileage went from 15 to 16.2 in the summer and it accelerates much better.

Beats me why it worked for me and not others,and so you know I spent a number of years as a GM tech so I'm no pilgrim.:D

Back