Need Help on Lowering X with Torsion bar Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help on Lowering X with Torsion bar Suspension

m435tro

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SportTrac
Hi guys...,
I'm planning to lower my X today but I have some quick questions need to be answered...:
1. I already bought universal lowering kit from Pep Boys. But I just realized that the U-bolts in it is not round ended shape but is square ended shape. Can I still use these U-bolts?
2. I understand that after done lowering I have to have Wheel Allignment. Right now I already put 18" Chrome on my X. If, due to snow season, I decided to put back my stock rims and tires, do I have to do another Wheel Allignment?
3. You guys with aftermarket rims, do you put back on your stock rims on Winter/Snow season?
That's for today guys.. Pics will follow after lowered. ;)
Thanks a bunch..!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. No. Get the round one.
2. No.
3. Yes. Snow will eat through your chrome and make it rust.
4. Next time just show up to meet up with fellow member as agreed so you do not have to go through all these. :p

What is if I show up at your fron door in about 2 hours from now.. Would you still help me out? :p

Eh. The last time I waited 2 hours for you (and other members) nobody showed up. Its no fun. I'm not doing that again. Well,... maybe next year. Let my broken heart heal. :D

Yeah I know it's no fun.. waiting for 2 hours. I'm waiting for almost 24 hours that day to see if my Granpa gonna make it or not... To you it was 2 hours no fun. But to me could be no fun for my whole lifetime if he didn't make it. Waiting for 2 hours but you still have the fun anyway is totally different that sitting almost 12 hours at JFK Hospital. :rolleyes:

I hear you, man. Sorry about your Grandpa. :(

OK guys.. I tried to get Round U-bolts today but got no luck. However, they do sell just U-bolts but the length is shorter compare to U-bolt that came along with 1" Kit that I bought. But I saw the 2" Kit and it does have Round U-bolts, but again its length is shorter then 1" kit. And there is a note on Round U-bolts (sold separately) that it can only be used with 2" blocks. Should I go 2" drop?

Order the lowering kit from Explorer Express and be assured of the fit.

Go for the 2" blocks. The lower the better the look IMO.

As long as the U-bolts are 2" longer than your stock ones you should be fine.

Ok guys...,

I lowered my X on Sunday. Went to Sears auto for wheels alignment but they can't do it due to size of the rims (18"). Called Pepboys to see if they can do it and same answer. But they told me that I could just put back my stock one, get it allign and put back my 18". As simply as that. Is that right? I need it to get it allign before Ford event in Englishtown this coming weekend. If this is find then I'm gonna ahead and do it.. Suggestions?

Which brings you back to your question # 2.

2. I understand that after done lowering I have to have Wheel Allignment. Right now I already put 18" Chrome on my X. If, due to snow season, I decided to put back my stock rims and tires, do I have to do another Wheel Allignment?

Which brings me back to my answer to your question #2.

Did you tell the alignment guys that you need them to install the camber kit?

Back