• Register Today It's free!

Need help on power window please.

Brett F.

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 4x4
Ok so after two days of searching and not finding anything I am asking all of you guys.

So, all the windows work fine except the driver window.

When I try to roll the window down it goes very slow and sometimes stops every couple of inches and then I hear a click from somewhere under the dash behind the steering wheel area and it stops. After a few times it will get more than half way and roll down at normal speed. It always rolls up at normal speed. The only issue is down and if it is very cold outside it is worse and sometimes will not roll down at all.

Any Ideas on what it might be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's just the driver window, I think I have an idea.

First, are you sure that the clicking is coming from around the steering wheel area? There is a fuse/relay underneath the steering wheel for the power windows that might be going bad, but I would think all the windows would start going bad if this was.

It could be your switch going bad. Luckily the switch is two parts, the bottom part and top part. The bottom part is where all the wires lead into, and the top part (swithces) plugs into all of these contacts. So you can replace just the top part if needed, these are normally just a few dollars at the junkyard.

Also, you might want to inspect the "auto down" relay that's in the door for the driver side window. I was having the same problems, and this is what had gone bad. To get to it you'll need to remove the door panel, and it's normally clipped onto the inside of the door panel underneath the armrest if I'm not mistaken. I rewired mine and moved it inside the cabin into the door pocket thing. When this little "relay" goes bad, the auto down function won't work, and the normal window operations goes to hell as well, because power for the window passes through this as well.

In my case, the relay looks as if it had burned up or shorted out, so for 3 dollars I scrounged a few at the junkyard so I have backups if needed.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Oh, the window relay in the door panel, is a little black box with a white connector plugged into it with 4 wires I believe.

Josh, Ford call that the "One-Touch Module"

Thank you much for the excellent information.

Same problem, now fixed

I had the same problem. Diver's window would go down at a snails pace, the one touch module would click and then the window would stop. If I held the down button, the window would 'crawl' to the fully open position. It would go up just fine, but down would be a problem especially in the cold

I searched and searched and searched, finally I pulled off the door panel, and had a look at the track, it was dirty and not looking so lubricated. I loaded the track up with white grease, and now it works fine. Mind you, it's been warm this weekend tin Toronto mid 60's so we'll see when the temperature drops. I will say that there was almost an immediate improvement!!

Ok so after two days of searching and not finding anything I am asking all of you guys.

So, all the windows work fine except the driver window.

When I try to roll the window down it goes very slow and sometimes stops every couple of inches and then I hear a click from somewhere under the dash behind the steering wheel area and it stops. After a few times it will get more than half way and roll down at normal speed. It always rolls up at normal speed. The only issue is down and if it is very cold outside it is worse and sometimes will not roll down at all.

Any Ideas on what it might be?
I had the same problem . traced down wires etc , checked between door and body for loose wires etc
i saw a thread about taking door trim off and smashing near the window motor while depressing the switch ....guess what ? it ****in worked

I had a similar issue, mine went down perfectly, but never went back up, replaced switches and fuses... Didn't fix it, turns out that little "auto-down" relay actually controls the window going up too... Every time I pressed the up button that relay/box would click but man oh man nothing would happen... Replaced that and it works good as new!!

Back