• Register Today It's free!

need help...please help

BKNEEBONE

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux city, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer & navajo
i have a 1991 explorer. it has the 4.0 v6, automatic, 4x4. The other day it would not start. it had the same symtoms as a bad battery. i replaced the battery, & ruled out the starter and the solenoid. when i turn the key, the solenoid only clicks once. The voltage reads 13 volts on the voltage gauage, and the cab power is normal. but the minute the key is turned, the solenoid clicks only once, and the power dies down to less then a couple of volts in the cab. the interior cab light dims to where it is a dim burn. looking at the schematic in my heynes manual, it shows the solenoid, eec power relay and the neutral switch between the battery and where the power enters the cab and power to the starter. i am leaning towards the neutral switch. the reason i am is of two reasons. 1. its the only thing left i have not replaced, and second.....when the ignition is in the "off" position, and when the cab light is on....when i turn the key so the igniton is the "on" position, the light dims significantly. when it is turned back to the off positon, then it gets brighter. i know i have a short going on somewhere. but does anyone else have any other idea's or am i on the right track? thanks for your time and the help. bk

brand new battery, alternator and starter is in the car. i have traced the issue down to the igniton switch...i am going to try it out tonight.

thanks for the help

bk

Back