Need help quick! Blower motor is out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help quick! Blower motor is out

11point5

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay, so the other day my blower motor went out. Weird thing is, the rear air still works, just not the front. So here are my questions: 1.) Are there 2 blower motors (1999 XLT), and if so can I move the working one from the rear to the front, and 2.) Is there any thing else that could be causing this? I know it isn't the relay, I have no air at all, no hot, cold, a/c, on none of the levels.

thanks!

1) yes, no they are different
2) could be the blower relay, or, the blower speed control resistor.

Relay is located in the power box under the hood, the blower resistor is bolted to the blower housing, about 8:00 position on the housing is a wire bundle connector. Disconnect the connector, then remove the 2 screws holding the resistor to the blower housing.

There are two separate motors but I doubt they'd be interchangeable. The rear blower will be much smaller than the front to fit it in the console.

If you have no air at all I'd suspect the blower motor has failed. It should run on high even if the blower motor resistor has failed assuming the high speed relay is working properly. There are actually two relays involved with the blower but it's doubtful they'd both fail at the same time.

With it turned on tap it with a hammer sometimes they get stuck if this works I usually drill a very small hole in the cup or bump in the center of the backing plate just through the metal not too deep and then just give it a drop of oil or W-D or whatever is on hand

Back