Need Help!! Ranger 4.0L Manual To auto problem.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help!! Ranger 4.0L Manual To auto problem..

Ranger4.0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ranger 4X4 4.0L
Last summer I blew my second 5 speed manual tranny in my 92 Ranger 4X4 4.0L,and a tranny was impossible to find,but after much searching I found an auto..
I did the swap,with all the necessary parts(I think) and I put a new filter and new oil in it.
First try,reverse worked,then forward worked,I took it for a drive,got about a km and put it in reverse to turn around,no prob,then back in forward,and it won't move..But reverse still works..
I couldn't figger out the problem,so it;s been sitting for a year,with the pan taken off.
Also I forgot to mention,that before I went to all the trouble of getting a tranny cooler and running lines.I just made a short loop with 3/8 rubber hose,to see if it worked..
Anyway.the other day I decided to start messing with it again..I put new fluid in it and tried,just for the hell of it,and it worked I drive around in the yard with it,for awhile..Then when I tried switching outta D again.& then back.No forward anymore...Reverse works perfect.
I can't figger it out.I've tried bleeding the lines,tried checking the seals on the filter(I read this may be the problem) no luck..
Any help would be great..
Thanks in advance..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...No need to post multiple threads...:nono:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249798

...With no information of the mileage of the newly installed auto tranny, if you had it tested or serviced, before you installed it, I would suspect it's a bad tranny...You can read thru the tranny section on "A4LD" 's ...There is a bunch of "How to's" on it to be found there...Good Luck...

Sorry..I just wasn't sure which forum I should post in..
Not sure of the mileage,all I have is the guys word..I know its kinda dumb..
If it's a bad tranny,how do you explain it working,now and then? What would be wrong?

Yeah, my first thought when reading your post was that it's a bad trans.

Do you have enough fluid in it?

Also, I deleted your other thread, so the topic can stay here in one place.

Man that sucks..I lost $500 on that...I was really hoping it wasn't a bad tranny..

Wait, we don't know for a fact it's bad... don't write it off till you're positve. Wait for more opinions.

...x2, if you read the Sticky's referencing the A4LD in the link I posted above, I believe you will find info to "reverse only and no forward gears", and info to a possible solution...

Hey Tbars4 I looked at all the stickys at that link,but didn't see anything about that specific problem.Can you give me a direct link?
Thanks.

Back