Need help! Rearview mirror install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help! Rearview mirror install

95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Milton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Okay, i need help installing the autolamp/auto dimming rearview mirror. I read the thread and think it's easy enought to do. I went to a junkyard and got one from a '95 explorer. When I got home the wire colors don't match up. I have the following wires:
white/pink
soild pink
black (ground)
purple/black
orange/white
soild brown

that is the order they are coming out of the mirror from left to right.

If someone can just tell me what wire is what that would be great.

Thanks,
Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks '96, i have read both of them but why are my wire colors differant? That's what i need help with.

Hmmm...that's very interesting. I'm sorry I interpreted your question and wiring colors. I don't know it this is 100% correct but here're the wires going from left to right according to the plug:

1: Not Used
2: White/Purple - Autolamp
3: Black/Pink - Tranny selection
4: Black - Ground
5: Light Green/Yellow - Power (Hot at all times)
6: Red/Yellow - Power (Hot at Ignition)

That's what the shop manual told me. Are you sure you got it from a '95 Explorer?? Because I'm pretty sure that all Explorers with Auto dimming mirrors have the same wiring colors. But I guess in your case, spend lots of time doing trial and error. The worst you can do is to blow a fuse. Good luck!! :)

There are at least 2 mirror systems. The one described in my CD is different from the one in my truck. This may account for your differences.

Okay, got the mirror in and the autodim works fine. However the autolights won't work. I couldn't find the w/p wire under the dash but did find it under the rear seat (drivers side) and tapped into it there with no luck. Is this the wrong wire? Could someone give me a little more help finding the wire under the dash. There are just to many looms under there.

Thanks,
Dan

Back