Need Help! Siezed 5.4L in our Expedition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help! Siezed 5.4L in our Expedition

JTX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
This is for all you mechanics, Do you think its a doable job for me and my Dad to pull this motor and fix it? This dam thing is huge! It a 1998 Ford Expedition, my parents never have time to get the oil change and thats what did it. The sticker says almost 30000 miles ago since last change. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. TIA

JTX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

holy crap!

Chances are you will have to do some major repairs to this thing.

I'd suggest looking for a used motor to put in it instead

oh and after you get it figured out....i think some Synthetic Extended Oil Changes may be in order :D

oh and another thing....those V8's in the F150s/Expeditions and Superduties are pretty well tucked in there.

Back when i worked Part-time at a dealer I saw a Guy actually just removed the front clip and pull the motor out the front instead of out through hood opening...I'm guessing it was easier this way because of the shortage of clearance.

is it doable? yes. However the amount of mechanical expertise you and your father have will determine the time it takes and quality of job when done. Undoubtedly you'll have to buy some special tools and rent an engine hoist. All in all you'll do it cheaper, but it might be more headache than it's worth. Depends on how greasy, cut up you like to get.

:chug: :chug:

just make sure you label All the wires and hoses so you have less of a headache later on

We pretty much have all the tools and a lift to do it. Its just that dam engine is intimidating! Also that engine is tucked in there real far.

thats why i think its easier to remove the front clip and pull it out...then up

on some of them i have seen you need to drop the engine through the bottom of the engine bay. but on nsome of them you can still get it through the top its just REALLY tricky and requires removal of the hood! :eek:

JTX said:
The sticker says almost 30000 miles ago since last change.

JTX

should have changed 10 times since then. wow...

Me, the king of believing in DIY... is thinking ... don't.

lol, Were gonna try it. Ill keep you all informed on whats up.

If you get the job done, you can tell people you have the ability to remove an engine, but not put oil in it.

LOL, hey now... If it was my car i would have realized it at about 6k. lol. I drained the oil and it came out like tar, Pretty sad. This is really bad timing, Im trying to get ready for moab and this **** happens.

Good for you, go for it... HEY, an idea ? why not take a lot of pics and post them with a step by step about how you did it... would be very helpful!

Wow, good luck with that. In the meantime, just think of all money you're saving on gas while it's down. :p

oh yeah and buy a good book :D

www.ftwtrucks.com

As far as I know, it's the largest Ford Truck Enthusiast's site on the 'net. Excellent resource. I know a few guys that have done major overhauls over there and can give some pointers.

-Joe

You might try removing as many parts from the engine as possible, including radiator, manifolds, etc. before lifting/pulling it out. If you can get to the head bolts with the engine in the truck, take the heads off and everything else you can get to. Ideally only the block remains to be pulled. Did this with an Aerostar. Was able to lower the block through the transmission tunnel and onto a dolly on the floor with not too much of a problem. Went back in the same way. Good luck.

I can tell you right now there is a picture at our shop with a 98 Expedition that we unbolted the whole body and lifted it out of the way and just had the frame and engine/tranny to work with. It made the job completely a breeze. But yes, mechanical knowledge will be key. It will indeed take awhile, and you will run along problems. You will be doing the change and notice you need another part and this will delay you longer. Just imagine if your parents would of had their oil changed and would of put synthetic in there! Crazy that 30+ bucks can save you thousands!

-Drew

One question. Does the trasmission and t case come out with it to? or can i get them loose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably gonna have to drop the tranny/transfer case....or at least get all the bolts out and just slide it back from the engine

Back