need help troubleshooting strange kazoo/harmonic noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help troubleshooting strange kazoo/harmonic noise...

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
ok so its not a ranger or explorer..... but maybe someone here could recognize the noise this 2002 escape is making. i posted about it on a ford escape forum- lots of people read it, but i never got any answers. those people are useless.

i also posted about this on the forums here for the same year models as this escape, but people in that section of the forums here do not directly recognize the noise.... and someone suggested that since the escape is front wheel drive like the 2011+ explorers, i would be better off posting it in this area of the forum.

this 2002 escape is my father in law's truck. it is a 3.0L front wheel drive

when pressing the gas and taking off, there is a noise coming out from the front of the truck....

the best way i can describe this noise is... it sounds a lot like a midget under the hood blowing on a kazoo or harmonica, only during acceleration.

once it gets up to speed, say maybe 2nd or 3rd gear, it seems the noise stops.

the truck has oversize fancy wheels on it, and the tires have a lot of tread, which creates a lot of road noise. when up to speed (30+ mph), i dont hear the noise. i dont know if it goes away or if the kazoo/harmonica sound is masked by the road noise the tires make. it has just regular street tires- and the noise is definately not caused by the tires. unfortunately, putting the proper size wheels on it is not an option. if this could happen, i would know for sure if the sound continues at higher speeds, or just goes away.

the driveway here is steep. the other day i was standing nearby while he was driving the truck up the hill. the more gas he gave it, the louder the kazoo/harmonica sound got as it creeped up the hill.... if you give it less gas, the sound is not so loud....when you let off the gas completely- the sound goes goes away altogether. this senario also applies under normal driving conditions on flat ground. it does this at low speeds (for sure) whether the engine is hot or cold, been driving for an hour or parked overnight.

not too long ago, i replaced the coils, spark plugs, wires, and the air intake gaskets- all of them. i put everything back on where it came from and torqued the intake manifold to factory specification. all of the air intake parts are good, nothing broken, nothing cracked, nothing torn, nothing taped up. so i am sure there are no air leaks.

i also replaced all the vacuum lines as most of them were old and rotten, or starting to crumble. since i did that work to it, it runs better than ever... runs really great, as a matter of fact... i also checked the compression. each cylinder was between 190-200 psi (which i was told is really good)

he says the noise has been going on for as long as he has had the truck, about 9 or 10 months. it could have been making the noise before he bought it, i dont know.

PS: the check engine light is on. but i dont have any codes. its not my car and i dont drive it. is it possibe a bad part connected to a sensor could be making the sound and also causing the CEL to come on? maybe we could go to the autozone and have the codes pulled when he does not have to be gone to work.

---------------------------------------
in the other forum section, members have suggested these as possible causes of the noise:

torque converter, pump, transfer case

some part vibrating in the air intake system, possibly the air filter, if loose, or cracked.

fan clutch
----------------------------------------

does anyone know what is causing this kazoo/ harmonica noise, and hopefully how to fix it? is it an indication of a serious problem to come, or is it nothing to worry about?

if necessary, we could go out one day and make a video going up the driveway and try to record the kazoo noise if that would help.

thanks in advance for replies!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Serpentine belt? Does it make the same noise in neutral when you give it gas?

Peter

As mentioned in the other thread, I would check the Intake Air Control Valve.

i dont think it is the belt..... i went to autozone site.... there is not listing for an intake air control valve.... there was an idle air control valve.... is this the same thing?

i dont think it is the belt..... i went to autozone site.... there is not listing for an intake air control valve.... there was an idle air control valve.... is this the same thing?

Yes it is. Do a Google search on IACV noise there are a few videos on it.
They tend to "gum up" over time hindering valve operation. Cleaning it with a carb cleaner MAY work but, only for a short period of time. (I've tried it) .

Back