Need Help w/98 Ranger Rear Diff Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help w/98 Ranger Rear Diff Rebuild

dcruiksh

Reaction score
City, State
Tiffin, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT Super Cab 4x4
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, but have been hanging out here since I got my truck last September. So far, I've always been able to get he answers I needed just by looking at existing threads; but now I'm stumped.

I have a '98 Ranger XLT 4x4 Super Cab with a 3.0/AT w/150K miles. It runs great, and has held up well, but I have had to do a fair amount to long-term maintenance since I got it: New shocks, breaks, U joints, tension pulley/belt, etc. The rear end needs to be rebuilt -- the limited slip is pretty well shot.

Although the info I've found here suggests that it should have an 8.8" rear end, it actually has the 7.5" F7, 4.10 according to the door sticker. That said, when I changed the oil back there, I noticed that it did not have a spring (like all pictures of LS diffs I've seen), so then I wondered if a previous owner might have replaced the F7 with an open. Then the kit would not help at all... It is worth noting that the id tag is missing :/

So, I think -- great; just need to get a clutch kit and rebuild kit for that. The problem is that everything I can find for the 7.5 good through 1997. Then I can find kits/part for 99 and up. So, WTH happened to 1998??

Is there something special or magic about 1998? Can I use the kit for the 1997? I called one place, but the guy there was not sure.

Aslo, it looks like I can find rebuilt units for around $200, and the parts for the rebuild (once I find the right clutch pack) are not much less. Would I be better off just getting bearing kit and a rebuilt or doing the rebuild myself. I've never done a diff rebuild, but I am a pretty competent home mechanic.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated greatly. I need to get this figured out so I can order the parts and get this done.

Thanks!

Back