Need help - what is this ???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help - what is this ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's your vacuum tree. Either a hose is loose fell off, or 1 fitting is supposed to be caped & the cap fell off. The hiss your hearing is a vacuum leak.

I cant find any hoses loose any where, is it possible that there are 2 fittings to be capped ???

That picture looked like a vacuum cap with a hole in it, I'd have to look under my 91 XLT hood to see. I know that my 93 would almost always blow off a cap there if it ever backfired. That was rare to happen, but when it did I always stopped and checked those caps on that vacuum junction block. Good luck,

If it's hissing & not a snake, then the best way to find the leak (in my opinion) is to get a can of spray start or in a pinch a spray bottle of water. Spray the hiss area & see what area dries the quickest. Vacuum will draw outside air in & dry leak faster then no leak. Little bit of water won't kill your vacuum system, just when you submerge the truck in a lake :)

Walter

you got a blown nipple, same thing happend to my 93, got a hiss, couldnt find it, took it to my budd, and he said....look. no nipple got me one from garage, and there you go, all good,! im 99.9 % sure thats waht it is!
just get you a nipple from an auto store, or if you have a spare laying around!
looked like it had a hole in that first lill nipple thinger!

Back