Need help with 2001 ford explorer engine problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 2001 ford explorer engine problem.

DeLoreanowner

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1981 DeLorean DMC-12
Hey guys I am new here and I have been working on a friends 2001 ford explorer for her. The car has the 4.0L six, I replaced the spark plugs today and now the car wont rev over 3000rpm. I know it has to be one of the wires because it was not doing this before but is there a certain cylinder which will make it bog at 3000? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing here but if it happened right after the plug install, maybe you didn't install one of the plugs properly. I had one which locked up on me and only screwed in halfway. or maybe you left some wires off.

All the wires are "on" and I will double check the plugs in the morning.
its weird because the car runs perfect till it hits 3krpm exactly then the engine starts missing and it wont go any higher. I just kinda want to know if there are specific cylinders that wont change idle but will affect higher RPMs.

Did you make sure to gap the plugs to spec? You may have bumped one during install as well and messed up the gap. A plug wire could have been damaged during removal or installation as well.

Sometimes a misfire is hard to hear or notice until the engine revs up a little higher.

All the wires are "on" and I will double check the plugs in the morning.
its weird because the car runs perfect till it hits 3krpm exactly then the engine starts missing and it wont go any higher. I just kinda want to know if there are specific cylinders that wont change idle but will affect higher RPMs.
There're no specific cylinders that do what you describe.
I'd double check the firing order, and the plug wire connection to
the plugs. Even though they're on, one connector may have broken
inside the boot and causing a higher rpm misfire. They're easy to check
if you have an ohmmeter handy. The wires should have about 5-8K ohms
per foot of length.....

Ok I will re check it all in the morning with a fresh mind.
These engines are so different from the engines I am used too Lol.

on my 01 sport you cant "rev" it past 3000 RPMS no matter what you do, (you didnt say weather your driving or not) its the computer. this is the Rev limiter. altho i have knocked it out of gear (on accident) while flooring it and got it to go to 6K once.

Neutral rev limiter?

on my 01 sport you cant "rev" it past 3000 RPMS no matter what you do, (you didnt say weather your driving or not) its the computer. this is the Rev limiter. altho i have knocked it out of gear (on accident) while flooring it and got it to go to 6K once.

Are you saying that your PCM limits the engine speed to 3,000 rpm when the transmission is in Park or Neutral?

Are you saying that your PCM limits the engine speed to 3,000 rpm when the transmission is in Park or Neutral?

When I had an '01 XLS with the SOHC my PCM did limit the engine speed when in neutral or park. Don't remember the exact rpm's it limited it to, but yes, it was limited.

Stock rpm limit

My 2000 stock rpm limit in Park or Neutral was the same as any gear, 6250 rpm. When I got my custom tune I asked James to leave it alone since according to my dyno testing the power began to plummet at 6000 rpm. I guess the 3000 rpm limit is an added safety feature that I'm glad I don't have.

Yes. He didn't say that he was driving down the road and it wouldn't go past 3000 RPMs

Well you guys were right it was the rev limiter! I took it out today to see if it would go over 3Krpm and it did. Thanks for the help guys! Now is there an online wiring schematic for an 01 explorer?

Finally my advice was right! haha

There's one to waste a brain cell on... apparently an '01 Ex does have a park and neutral rev limiter... My guess is that they installed one to help prevent people from destroying transmissions by doing neutral drops.

New here- but maybe you guys can lend a helping hand. I'm having a similar (if not same) issue except I just bought my used '01 Sport 2WD about a month ago. I just noticed on the way home from work, I could not exceed 3000RPM-took about 45 seconds to get from 40 to 70. I have no real service history of the vehicle, and before I drove a Grand Am SE, so im still getting used to being in an SUV, but also I noticed Going up a pretty steep hill I could not exceed 25mph flooring it?

In addition, my buddy noticed the tranny slipping beween 2nd and 3rd when he drove it earlier in the week- but I dont know if all these issues are coorelated or not - Def. going to take it to a shop Wed. but if anyone has experience with the same issues, I'd appreciate it!

(Also my O/D light was flashing at one point, but went away when i changed the battery, however, the ABS light is still ON and sometimes the Airbag light is on as well)

There's one to waste a brain cell on... apparently an '01 Ex does have a park and neutral rev limiter... My guess is that they installed one to help prevent people from destroying transmissions by doing neutral drops.

Yep. I remember my 03 mounty had the 3k rev limiter, and i was shocked when i got the 98 and i could rev it up high in park.

Back