Need Help with 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help with 2002 Explorer

Mom Mechanic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6L V8
My Explorer is a 2002 4.6L V8 EFI that is confusing a few people. I will try to explain my problem. It will start fine with all gauges looking good, then after a few seconds the idling seems to go up, when I place it in Drive the engine dies. I try to start it, but it just cranks and won't turn over. I take out the plugs and they are wet with gas ( some worse than others). I clean them, then the same thing happens again. I have put new plugs in. I took the MAF off and cleaned it very carefully with MAF cleaner. But earlier a neighbor sprayed carb cleaner into it and the throttle intake. Also I should mention that it is not throwing any codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had it checked to see if there are any pending codes? Any auto parts store can do it. Some rent the tool to do at the house as well. Not much help I know but maybe get you started in the right direction.

Thanks tmds3, but it isn't throwing any codes at all. Yeah, that would help me if I had some bad codes to work with. We are stumped. Once again thanks :)

But earlier a neighbor sprayed carb cleaner into it and the throttle intake. )
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can't really help you on why your Ex is dying after you put it into gear, but do not let your neighbor or anyone spray "carb cleaner" into the MAF sensor or Throttle Body Intake. The MAF sensor should only be cleaned with specific MAF sensor cleaner and the same goes for the Throttle Body Intake. It has a cleaner specifically made for it also, Throttle Body Cleaner. Both come in spray cans sold at parts stores. "IF" your problem started after your neighbor used carb cleaner on the MAF sensor and Throttle Body then I would look to those area's as the source of your problem. One or both may have been damaged by the carb cleaner.

check to see if the computer is trying to think the vehicle is being stolen and has gone into theft mode

Back