• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 5L swap parts list

shore_rider

Reaction score
City, State
nanaimo bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' sport
I have been looking for a while now for an exact list of what all is needed to swap out the 4L OHV for a 5L in my 1993 explorer sport. And what transmission/transfer case would be needed. If anyone has any idea what is needed, or knows of a helpful link it would be a great help. So that no one alse has any issues in the future I also plan to document the swap with pictures and post a guide on this site. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if I was going to do it, I would buy a wrecked 93 mustang. Now you have the motor/trans/computer and all accessories. Advanced adapters will sell the motor mounts and headers. You could always go with a c4 to

looking at doing the same with my 97, but finding a totaled v8 X with rear end damage or rollover is almost impossible. I even have my insurance company checking for me.

-mc

Ya it's not so easy finding a wrecked mustang or explorer in northern alberta, so I will most likely be going back home to vancouver island to do this since there are wrecked mustangs EVERYWHERE. I dont think the transmission from a mustang would work either eh, because a transfer case needs to be attached to it. But its the tranny and transfer case from an f-150 that I will need is it not? Anyone know if the X driveshaft works with these? thanks

absolutely the best way IMO to get a 5.0L into your truck is to use the complete AWD drivetrain from a 96-2001 5.0L Explorer

Back