• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Need help with 5L swap parts list

shore_rider

Reaction score
City, State
nanaimo bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' sport
I have been looking for a while now for an exact list of what all is needed to swap out the 4L OHV for a 5L in my 1993 explorer sport. And what transmission/transfer case would be needed. If anyone has any idea what is needed, or knows of a helpful link it would be a great help. So that no one alse has any issues in the future I also plan to document the swap with pictures and post a guide on this site. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mike_D

Reaction score
City, State
Redondo Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
if I was going to do it, I would buy a wrecked 93 mustang. Now you have the motor/trans/computer and all accessories. Advanced adapters will sell the motor mounts and headers. You could always go with a c4 to

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
If I was going to do it-
I would buy a wrecked 98-01 v8 awd

Then you have it all, and probably enough parts left to make some $$ back-

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
looking at doing the same with my 97, but finding a totaled v8 X with rear end damage or rollover is almost impossible. I even have my insurance company checking for me.

-mc

shore_rider

Reaction score
City, State
nanaimo bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' sport
Ya it's not so easy finding a wrecked mustang or explorer in northern alberta, so I will most likely be going back home to vancouver island to do this since there are wrecked mustangs EVERYWHERE. I dont think the transmission from a mustang would work either eh, because a transfer case needs to be attached to it. But its the tranny and transfer case from an f-150 that I will need is it not? Anyone know if the X driveshaft works with these? thanks

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
absolutely the best way IMO to get a 5.0L into your truck is to use the complete AWD drivetrain from a 96-2001 5.0L Explorer