• Register Today It's free!

Need Help With 86 BII please

compton6974

Reaction score
City, State
Petawawa, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I am helping my buddy try and bring back a 86 BII Xlt from my parents place (furtherest we got it). K now this truck has been sitting around for like 2 years and when u put a battery in it, it just fires up! But as soon as it gets to a cetain temp it starts chugging like it is starving for fuel and if you hit the throttle it dies. Any clues of why this is??? we replaced both fuel pumps both in tank and inline, fuel filter, unplugged the coolant temp sensor ( told they would make it run like **** if screwed) , the coolant temp sensor in the truck says it is running at like half gauge???? we are lost and had to tap out and return home (3 and a half hour drive) after 2 days of messsing around with it.
And i know that this site has helped me out a whole lot from before with my 93 sploder so i thought i would give this a go! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

change the oil and filter,check the pcv valve, and grommet. check the air filter and hose(rat,or trash).wd-40 the pulleys.and replace the belt.and last do the tranny and filter when it's runnin right go pick up some seafoam.basic stuff for a vehicle that has sat for more than a year.

before you do that stuff I would assume the TFI module (ignition module on the back of the distributor) is faulty. When they get hot they like to fail and are a very common source of the issue you describe.

Also checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail is a good idea, also check for fgas in the vacuum line that leads to the fuel pressure regulator.

My $$$ is on the TFI module since you already replaced both fuel pumps.

we did all the fluid changes , we exchanged a TFI with a different one but that doesnt mean it they are both bad, and we have tons of fuel at the rail!! but i have not pulled the line of the back of the pressure reg though to look for gas! it is such a pain the thing runs like a top when it first fires up but after a little while it starts it trick! thanks any more input would be. some one said that it could be a sensor somewhere messed up or vacuum lines unplugged?!?!?! there cant be to many sensors in it while it is a 86?!?!

Does that type engine have a seperate coil? Sometime they can be a source of problems when they get warm. If it does have a coil, check and see if oil is leaking out of it near the terminals.

Back