Need help with a 4405 transfer case. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with a 4405 transfer case.

DonGraves

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Hi,
Transfer case has very loud popping noise.... which jolts with each pop
Could this be the chain jumping? I removed the TC and everything looks good inside. Gears, shift fork, shift cam, shift rail and shift shaft all look real good.
I can't tell if the chain is stretched.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome don

Hi,
Transfer case has very loud popping noise.... which jolts with each pop
Could this be the chain jumping? I removed the TC and everything looks good inside. Gears, shift fork, shift cam, shift rail and shift shaft all look real good.
I can't tell if the chain is stretched.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Don

Have you ever figured out what is causing your popping noise?

Last 2 times I went wheeling (newer t-case) I have had the exact same thing happen. I am concerned about this as well. Nothing seems to be wrong with mine as far as performance goes, but when it "pops" it is freaky. I am not sure if it is just driveline bind up or what. It will happen mostly while turning the wheels, or going from reverse back to drive. I would think the tires would just spin easily enough in the grass or dirt, and you wouldn't hear the clank of wind up releasing. But wow, it is very audible. It is making me think my upper ball joints are the reason. Like too much slop in them, and when the wind up releases, bang! I don't know what else to think on this.

1992 doing same thing

My 92 is doing the same thing but always when loading in 4WD. Hi or lo range. Anyone have ideas?

Back