• Register Today It's free!

need help with amp/sub combo

WSUDrummer

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Park, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hey im going to be buying a new amp and im looking at Kicker. I was wondering if this amp would be cool for my sub, the amp is a Kicker ZX2002 and im going to be running a single MTX 6000 12. My question is will this be enough power for the sub or should I give it more? I dont want to over power it or underpower. Here are the specs let me knwo what you all think

MTX 6000 12" sub
4 Ohm
250 watt rms
500 watt peak

KICKER ZX200.2 amp
RMS Power (4 ohms) 70 watts x 2 chan.
RMS Power (2 ohms) 100 watts x 2 chan.
RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable
Bridged RMS Power 200 watts
Peak Power Output 400 watts approx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it'll work but if you can you might go up a bit

I would say that is probably a good match. You could go to the zx250.2 If you can look at the amps birth cert. Most of the Kicker amps put out a little more that what is rated. But all in all that is a good match for your sub. Assuming that you have a single 4 ohm voice coil if not you will need a different amp.

No No No NO NO NO i bought my truck a month ago and it came with brand new ARC Audio 12" Flatline Subs and I am sold on these ...they are by far the best subs I have ever heard and 10,000 times better than any alpine, mtx, jbl, jl, sony, etc...on the circuit city shelf, these are the same audio equipment they use on the TV show Chip Foose OVERHAULIN' thanx just my opinion.

No No No NO NO NO i bought my truck a month ago and it came with brand new ARC Audio 12" Flatline Subs and I am sold on these ...they are by far the best subs I have ever heard and 10,000 times better than any alpine, mtx, jbl, jl, sony, etc...on the circuit city shelf, these are the same audio equipment they use on the TV show Chip Foose OVERHAULIN' thanx just my opinion.

wow, are you a rep for ARC or what? ARC is great stuff, but why would you put a chep walmart VR3 amp on such nice subs?

and whats wrong with c city?

Hey im going to be buying a new amp and im looking at Kicker. I was wondering if this amp would be cool for my sub, the amp is a Kicker ZX2002 and im going to be running a single MTX 6000 12. My question is will this be enough power for the sub or should I give it more? I dont want to over power it or underpower. Here are the specs let me knwo what you all think

MTX 6000 12" sub
4 Ohm
250 watt rms
500 watt peak

KICKER ZX200.2 amp
RMS Power (4 ohms) 70 watts x 2 chan.
RMS Power (2 ohms) 100 watts x 2 chan.
RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable
Bridged RMS Power 200 watts
Peak Power Output 400 watts approx.

that would be a great setup, but if you want to do a little more power you could.

because the vr3 came with the truck and no i am not a rep and the amp is getting replaced soon to a 800or1000 watt btw just speaking my opinion...u will believe too once you compare an ARC sub to anything else really nice quality.

have a great day

I have heard the Arc Flatline several times and while its a great sub I would much rather listen to an Image Dynamics IDMAX 12. Best mix of SQ and SPL I have ever heard and I have heard a lot. Put 600-1000 good watts on one and you be happy. If the IDMAX is too much for ya then look at Arc's regular line. Sorry, Im not a big fan of MTX.....nor Kicker for that matter....

Your ideal set up would be??

wow, are you a rep for ARC or what? ARC is great stuff, but why would you put a chep walmart VR3 amp on such nice subs?

and whats wrong with c city?

that would be a great setup, but if you want to do a little more power you could.

Could you piece together what you know to be the best set up from the items listed (or alternative items)? And also recommend a few places to purchase from? Thanks... I purchased from Cir City and Crutchfld.

Your set up sounds like a good deal

No issues so far? What places do you recommend purchasing from? Thanks!

no issues so far... i just need a better amp for them 800-1000 watt will be perfect then they can that earth shaking BOOM.

Sweet!

That's what it's about! :) You gotta be able to have fun, you know? I admit, when I'm on the freeway, I can't hear anything, just see the side mirrors moving... ha! It's aalll good! :D

Could you piece together what you know to be the best set up from the items listed (or alternative items)? And also recommend a few places to purchase from? Thanks... I purchased from Cir City and Crutchfld.

depending on what kind of box that mtx sub is in will play a part in how much power you should run to it. if you have a sealed box i would recomend the 250.2, it will make close to 300 watts most likely and would be a graet match to that woofer, overpowering just a little won't hurt anything (givin you properly setup your gain level and boost, etc) esp. in a sealed box. if you have a ported box i would do the 200.2 because the ported box is alot more efficient and it will take less power to drive that woofer to its peak

there are alot of good places out there to buy kicker stuff from, c city is one of them, the nice thing about them is that they offer extended warrenties out to 4 years on there stuff. whatever you do if you buy it online, make sure its from an authorized dealer, very few internet sites are authorized to sell kicker, and if you buy from an unauthorized dealer you will have no warrenty at all, one of the best and cheapest that i have found is woofersetc.com

Alright!

I got a couple items to switch out, this is very helpful. It's frustrating when you try to buy something, and you don't know what it is you need. This is perfect info, thanks! :thumbsup:

depending on what kind of box that mtx sub is in will play a part in how much power you should run to it. if you have a sealed box i would recomend the 250.2, it will make close to 300 watts most likely and would be a graet match to that woofer, overpowering just a little won't hurt anything (givin you properly setup your gain level and boost, etc) esp. in a sealed box. if you have a ported box i would do the 200.2 because the ported box is alot more efficient and it will take less power to drive that woofer to its peak

there are alot of good places out there to buy kicker stuff from, c city is one of them, the nice thing about them is that they offer extended warrenties out to 4 years on there stuff. whatever you do if you buy it online, make sure its from an authorized dealer, very few internet sites are authorized to sell kicker, and if you buy from an unauthorized dealer you will have no warrenty at all, one of the best and cheapest that i have found is woofersetc.com

considering impedance rise the is not going to put out 300 watts...no matter though

i would get the zx250.2. it will;give you a bit of head room and you dont have to run it at full tilt. the 250.2 will be a little over 250x1 @ 4 ohm bridged and if i remember right its not much more money. I just bough a 200.2 last night for my tweeters and was looking at the 250 also

Mmmmm....head...room is good

Back