• Register Today It's free!

Need help with big problem.

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
For the past couple of weeks, I have had a hard time getting my shifter into first gear. It is almost like there is something blocking the slot that the shifter would go into. It would usually only happen at a dead stop, I would have to try a couple of times to jam it in there. If i was rolling forward, it seemed to go in a little easier, but still not great.

Then today, sitting on at an uphill stop waiting for traffic, my X was in first. I had the clutch in and the brakes applied. I went to release the brakes, expecting the usual roll backwards like all manuals have on a hill, but I just sat there. It was almost like the clutch hadn't disengaged, but since I was sitting still, and the engine didn't die like it would if the clutch hadn't disengaged, I wasn't sure what was wrong.

I ended up driving all the way home (about 7 highway miles) but now the problem where it went into first gear rough was happening throughout every gear, all the way to 5th. I couldn't really hear anything, and the engine seemed to be running fine, I just had a hard time shifting.

Has anyone had this problem, or know what would cause this????

I really need help soon. My ford guy is out of town, and I have to drive 25 miles to my college every tuesday and thursday. I don't want to be stuck on the side of interstate 70 all day, so somone please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found out.....

.....that it probably is the slave cylinder, but still not 100% sure, so any help is appreciated.

Someone has to know something about this. Also, today I thought I heard something from the trans. while in third around 2500-3000rpm.

It almost sounded like a rock sliding against a disc sander. It was really faint, had to turn air off and music all the way down to hear it, but still. The truck seemed to still be driving fine. Please help.

I AM REALLY WORRIED.

Bump.....still really need help with this problem. Someone help.

No one has even responded saying they don't know what to do.

This is pathetic guys.

This board is FAR from pathetic. Dont come around here pushing your crap. If you dont get a reply its maybe because people dont know...or they havent read your thread...or they dont have the time to do YOUR research. If you are so scared about your truck being FUBAR'd then take the damn thing to a machanic and get it looked at. If you search around and READ you will most likely solve your problem or find someone else with the same problem. Dont act like a little baby and whine when no one helps you....Grow up.

Lots of info here if you search
Sometimes your post does not get read in the time span you want it to.
I have posted plenty of times and I would say at least 90% of the time someone got back to me. It might not have always been the same day or the next, but lots of these guys/gals read old posts and do help. And posting the same problem multipe times will get you no where. If something is real urgent post it in Explorer 911. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Search Man Search....Search Like You Never Searched Before!!!!

You already answered your own question in the second post: Probably the slave cylinder. Need to drop the trans and see.

-Joe

FHBasketball said:
Bump.....still really need help with this problem. Someone help.

No one has even responded saying they don't know what to do.

This is pathetic guys.

This is not the Ford help line, it's people using their free time (wink,wink) to help other X owners. If we know the answer we will get back to you asap. If you are unsatisfied with the forum, find another. But if you are patient you will see what a great resource this forum is to owners of Explorers and Rangers.

I'm sorry. I've been really stressed with working 60+ hours a week between two jobs, and going to school full time. Then the whole thing with my trans goes wrong. It just happens to be the week that my mechanic (the ford guy I think I refered too up there) happens to be out of town at training for his new job at a lexus dealership. Don't want to drop the trans myself and have something go wrong, and not be able to drive to work or school.

Then seeing the views column for this thread reach over 30 with no one responding, the stress got to me and I snapped. I am sure that most people on the thread can relate.

Sorry again, but I just wanted to make sure that the slave cylinder was the problem b4 I spent 200+ to replce it. But does anyone know what the whole scraping sound I described would be. I think it might be my flywheel, but not sure.

Sorry, but thanks to everyone.

First: check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder

Second: look for leaking fluid around the bellhousing, you can even look inside the transmission (where clutch and slave cyl are through the inspection cover, or big rubber plug) use your finger to see if its wet in there with brake fluid.

I assume if you are slightly rolling it will go into 1st gear?

It is likely time for a clutch and new slave cylinder, however if the fluid is low you might buy some time by just bleeding the system.

Everything I just mentioned can be searched for and has been covered ALOT on this forum

Relax, this stuff can be frustrating, but it could ALWAYS be worse, it could be a Cheby for example.

Lol. Yeah. My whole family is Ford (if you count Ford owned Jaguar) and proud of it.

Ok. It is easier to get into first while rolling.
No, clutch fluid is fine. Added some back in June when I bought it. Hasen't dropped much.
If you are under the car, looking at the trans. there is some grease, or some sort of liquidy stuff on the outside, but it doesn't drip or anything. Its just kind of there.

But I was thinking I would have to buy a new clutch anyway. Would anyone recomend the Centerforce kit that SummitRacing.com has???

It looked pretty good to me.

Centerforce has three different clutches for your truck, they are all good.
OEM is good. Lots of people on this board use LUK Gold and like them as well.

You need to look inside the inspection cover and use your finger to see if there is brake fluid in there, if yes then the slacve is likely leaking.

Any clutch shop can give you a free estimate, they should also look in the insopection cover and determine the condition of your clutch.

How many miles?
Has the clutch been replaced?

Also its a good idea to check the level of the trans fluid, just to make sure.

Miles showing are 154xxx, but the odometer isn't working. The guy that takes care of my cars says more like 175xxx but the engine couldn't be better. I believe him.

As for if the clutch has been replaced, I couldn't tell you. I bought the truck in June, knowing that it might need to be replaced b/c of the mileage, but wasn't expecting it this soon.

Back