Need help with code 412

CHH777

Once...
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4
Engine runs rough at idle with intermittent missing. Runs fine above idle. Pulled the following code with scanner:

Cannot control RPM during Engine Run Self-Test -- high RPM check.

No vacuum leaks and O2 sensors are new. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

idle speed control motor?

Did you reset the computer after replacing the O2's...can't hurt.

:chug:

MrShorty,

You mean idle air control valve? Can it be tested?

Computer has been reset multiple times.

Sorry, Chilton calls it idle air control valve, Haynes calls it idle speed control motor, and Haynes was the most recent reference I had used relating to this part.
Chilton says you need only check the resistance on it; should be 7-13 ohms. It also says you need to be aware of the polarity, because there is a diode inside.

Update

Thanks for the test info.

I found a substantial exhaust leak in the driver side header. Borla is shipping a new set under warranty. Could this affect the O2 sensor on that side?

Leaking exhaust could affect the O2 sensor's reading. A large leak would also affect the back pressure in the exhaust system. I don't understand it myself, but I've seen others talk about the need for back pressure in the exhaust system for the engine to run properly, especially at low RPM. A large leak would significantly decrease this back pressure. Maybe someone else can enlighten us just how the back pressure is necessary?

Back