• Register Today It's free!

Need help with fog lamps on a ppv

Yaheard...

Reaction score
City, State
Portage, in.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer interceptor
Has anybody ever put aftermarket fog lamps on a 2015 Ford Explorer ppv I'm see two pigtails on the frame but they don't match the pigtails I bought from the dealership. Nor am I getting power to the big tails. in the manual it does not say anything about having fogs so It doesn't direct me in the right direction to go look into this. somebody has had to done this before please inform me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some members have added them to a Base Explorer.

Peter

Thank you, i am very curious on how they have all done them,if they used any factory wiring harness or not

Has anybody ever put aftermarket fog lamps on a 2015 Ford Explorer ppv I'm see two pigtails on the frame but they don't match the pigtails I bought from the dealership. Nor am I getting power to the big tails. in the manual it does not say anything about having fogs so It doesn't direct me in the right direction to go look into this. somebody has had to done this before please inform me.

Might be easier to use aftermarket ones and either mount them behind the grill or on your cowcatcher (if you have one).

Look into the thread I did adding auto lights someone questiond me about this. Some piu were not wired at the bcm for fog lights it's not hard to add tho

Look into the thread I did adding auto lights someone questiond me about this. Some piu were not wired at the bcm for fog lights it's not hard to add tho
Thank you, i seems to be exactly that.. there is no wireing under the fuse box

Might be easier to use aftermarket ones and either mount them behind the grill or on your cowcatcher (if you have one).
I am in the process of adding aftermarket fogs in the bottom stock fog placements, all i have left is wireing.

Usually aftermarket fogs are wired up on their own with an appropriate switch and relay, so no need to worry about whether there is factory wiring or not.

If you want to wire up "factory" fogs to factory wiring, that's a different animal and depends on what factory wiring/switchgear is already there.

Easiest way to do it if factory wiring isn't there would probably be to wire the fogs on their own wiring (with a switch) and trigger power to the relay only when headlamps are on or another switched circuit.

You actually can use the aftermarket kit with the factory switch setup.

Use the provided relay and harness. for the switched power use the provided "factory" power to fogs right at the bcm. A factory headlamp switch with fogs and you are done.

You actually can use the aftermarket kit with the factory switch setup.

Use the provided relay and harness. for the switched power use the provided "factory" power to fogs right at the bcm. A factory headlamp switch with fogs and you are done.

That's a thought. Is the BCM hard to get at?

This bring up another question: is there a headlight switch with fogs, but WITHOUT auto headlights?

This bring up another question: is there a headlight switch with fogs, but WITHOUT auto headlights?
No all vehicles equipped with fogs have auto headlamp.. you can still use the switch the auto function just will not work.. it's really easy to wire in auto headlamps 2 wires to the HVAC module. 1 to the bcm and a ground. Change a few lines in forscan and you're in business

No all vehicles equipped with fogs have auto headlamp.. you can still use the switch the auto function just will not work.. it's really easy to wire in auto headlamps 2 wires to the HVAC module. 1 to the bcm and a ground. Change a few lines in forscan and you're in business

That's what I thought, too, but I'm not seeing a switch with fogs, but no auto.

On all the retail Explorers I've seen the fog lights are on a separate switch.

On all the retail Explorers I've seen the fog lights are on a separate switch.
And, if that is the case, than it seems easiest to just wire the fog lamps on their own circuit and set up a switch. Put the switch on a switched source to toggle the relay so the fog lights can't be left on when the vehicle is turned off.

No need to try and wire into the main harness/modules and source a new headlamp switch.

And, if that is the case, than it seems easiest to just wire the fog lamps on their own circuit and set up a switch. Put the switch on a switched source to toggle the relay so the fog lights can't be left on when the vehicle is turned off.

No need to try and wire into the main harness/modules and source a new headlamp switch.
My bad. Just went out and checked mine and the headlight control and fog lights are all part of the same item. I think I confused it with the lower switches, liftgate, tow etc. Sorry about that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes that's it. I took a picture of mine this morning but haven't been able to transfer it using any of my photo programs. My PC finally updated to the latest Windows 10 version after it tried unsuccessfully for a couple months and now I've lost the ability to carry out some functions.

Peter

Light Switch.JPG

Back