• Register Today It's free!

Need Help with Ignition?

tvail6

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I have a 96 explorer sport 2wd. 4.0 engine. Tonight i replaced my brake pads and afterwards took it around the block to test them. When I got back to the shop I went to shut my X off and when Idid it began to turn over as if I was trying to start it after it was already started. I turned the key back to the on position and it stopped. I pulled the negative and shut the truck off and although it tried turning over still it quickly lost juice and died. Is this my ignition cylinder? Since i have owned it I have always been able to remove the
key even when started and if I dont make sure its all the way turned off it can be started without key. If it is I am under the impression 96 was a transition year for the cylinder. How do I go abot diagnosing my problem?Help as soon as possible would be great as I have a road trip scheduled in two days,

Udatefor any one reading this..I put a new ignition switch in today. I go to start it and it clicks at the solenoid up by the battery. I put a new solenoid in and it does the same thing. I crossed the posts on the solenoid located on started and the gear spins but does not engage. Dropped the starter and hooked 12 volt to it. Same thing the gear spins but does not engage. Is this my starter or my solenoid? Why was it clicking up top? Please help

Udatefor any one reading this..I put a new ignition switch in today. I go to start it and it clicks at the solenoid up by the battery. I put a new solenoid in and it does the same thing. I crossed the posts on the solenoid located on started and the gear spins but does not engage. Dropped the starter and hooked 12 volt to it. Same thing the gear spins but does not engage. Is this my starter or my solenoid? Why was it clicking up top? Please help

The solenoid under the hood does nothing more than turn "on" the solenoid mounted on the starter motor itself. The starter motor solenoid does 2 things: first it pushes it's little pinion gear into mesh with the flywheel gear, and then, second, it turns "on" the motor, which cranks the engine over.

My guess would be that the link which connects the solenoid plunger to the sliding pinion carrier is broken or otherwise F. U.

Buy a new starter. imp

Yes that will be done tomorrow. I pulled it tonight so I can take in for core. I figured if anything that would be it. Do you recommend the reman or brand new? $40 dollar difference but they both have the lifetime so?? If anyone could recommend a cheaper route that would be great. As it is the remanufactured one is 99 including the $30 core. The brand new is 145 including $5 core.

Back